Russian Tortoise Problem, Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtsarkis

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello,

I have a 3 or 4 year old russian tortoise. When I got her, she was eating like a pig. Now, for some reason, the only thing she'll eat is peas, carrots, and green beans. I took her to the vet, and they said there was nothing medically wrong with her. I think the problem was she liked peas so much, so wouldn't eat anything else. I've tried just about everything. I was wondering if this happened to anyone, or if you have absolutely any ideas as to how I could get her back to eating her greens; like weaning her off of them. PLEASE... I'm so desperate! ANY suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Kim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Have you tried only putting greens in her food bowl, or even putting mostly greens and just a few other things? Eventually she will get hungry enough to eat the greens if that is what is available. They can be just like kids, very picky! Definately don't give her too much of the peas and green beans because too much protien is bad for them.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I can't say for Russians, but my RES’s would only eat mealworms.
I tried giving them different food-they wouldn't eat.
Adding other foods-they wouldn't eat.
Giving them less and less mealworms and more of other foods-they wouldn't eat.
Each day they wouldn't eat.
I finally said you will eventually get hungry and eat. So I offered them the food I wanted them to eat every day.
On the 5th day they ate. A little at first and now they are chowing down on what I give them.
I decided to hold off all meal worms for a few weeks, then only give them after that as a very occasional treat.
So my theory is when they get hungry enough they will eat what you give them.

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Yep it's called tough love.
I wouldn't give the peas or beans except once in a blue moon due to the protien levels.
Torts can go a long time (months) so she will eat the good stuff when she gets hungry enough. Also dont forget it's getting to be "that " time of year when torts start slowing down. Mine don't hibernate (atleast not yet cuz I'm chicken) but they do slowww down and dont eat as much in the winter.

Good luck...let us know how she does:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The vet said she is of good weight right? So like they said, give her the option of good food or no food for a bit. As long as you are keeping her in a healthy environment...especially the warm enough temps to keep her going she should start eating the good stuff soon. Some warm soaks while she isn't eating won't hurt either.

If her not eating really bothers you, then take and chop the good stuff up fine and also finely chop some of the beans/carrots. That way she has to eat some of the good with her favorites. Gradually make it more of the good and less favorites until she only occasionally gets the favorites.

Isn't it amazing how they manage to start dictating to us, what to feed them?:D

jtsarkis

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well it's day 2 of "good food or no food." It's breaking my heart to see my tortoise not eating. She hasn't eaten anything so far. I'm going to continue and only give her greens. Thank you for all of your suggestions so far.

-Justin : )

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
jtsarkis said:
Well it's day 2 of "good food or no food." It's breaking my heart to see my tortoise not eating. She hasn't eaten anything so far. I'm going to continue and only give her greens. Thank you for all of your suggestions so far.

-Justin : )

Would it help, if your reminded that in the wild they won't find food everyday? We spoil our animals shamelessly....but then again they do own our hearts.;) Congrats on lasting two days so far. Keep it up!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Congratulations Justin on day two.
I know it was hard for me to give them food everyday and watch them not eat.
But I figured for a few days I could be strong for the betterment of my shelled babies.
Keep up the good work.

jtsarkis

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello again,

I have some good news. Today I was walking and picked up a dandelion to give to my tortoise. When I got home, I put it in her tank. Within maybe 20 minutes, she went to the food bowl and ate the whole dandelion! I guess this is sort of an improvement. Now, if she'll only eat her greens.

- Justin : )

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Definitely a good start. That should make it a little easier to keep the faith. Patience often wins out.
Again Congratulations

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
See it's working!!:)

Was this a dandy bloom or the leaf? Next time put some of the leaves with the bloom. See if the whole pile gets eaten. Dandies are a great food source.

jtsarkis

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
As we speak right now, she is eating romaine lettuce! I am so happy. And if I keep giving her greens, I'm sure she will eat more and more. I will keep updating you guys, and thanks so much!

- Justin : )

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like you did well and are now getting the proper motivation...she is eating it! Congrats on sticking with it.

jtsarkis

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thought I'd give you guys an update. My russian is eating like normal and she eats a lot of different types of greens. Thanks everyone sooooo much again! I owe everything to you guys!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Justin, so glad to hear of your success. But you did the hard work of not giving in. Congrats keep up the good work.
P.S. Whats your torts name?

jtsarkis

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Her name is Moscow. I'll try to put a picture on here of her.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Great I know we would all love to see pics of her.
Moscow thats an unsual name is there a story behind her name?

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
jtsarkis said:
Hello,

I have a 3 or 4 year old russian tortoise. When I got her, she was eating like a pig. Now, for some reason, the only thing she'll eat is peas, carrots, and green beans. I took her to the vet, and they said there was nothing medically wrong with her. I think the problem was she liked peas so much, so wouldn't eat anything else. I've tried just about everything. I was wondering if this happened to anyone, or if you have absolutely any ideas as to how I could get her back to eating her greens; like weaning her off of them. PLEASE... I'm so desperate! ANY suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Helo jtsarkis,

Torts can definetly get hooked on a particular food. As peas are concearned I believe they're to high on protein and showlnd't be fed to russians. To get her to eat veggies and weeds again you could try rubbing a pea onto a leaf so the pea scent gets transfered to the leaf. This has worked for some people, fooling the tortoise into eating something new (or in your case to break a bad habbit)

Hope this helps.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Ooops, just noticed this post had already been answered and successfully resolved. Good news, then.
Cheers,
T.

Status
Not open for further replies.