Russian Tortoise living outside

Ilovepeanut

5 Year Member
Hi all! I have been greatly thinking about keeping my Russian tortoise outside but I really need help as I have never researched this as a possibility! We live in the Illinois area and the climate changes so often, but if he could even be outside in the summer that would be wonderful. Right now he is in a 3 by 2 and I feel awful as I would love for him to have more space but I don't have any more space inside!! Please help me!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
You can build a larger in closer by making it to story in the house. Outdoors there are many easy ways to build an enclosure. Check out the enclosures section for some ideas. Even if he can be outside for two or three months that would be great. Do you want him to be outside overnight or do you plan to bring him in every night? This may determine what kind of enclosure you want to build. Also are there any predators in your area?

Ilovepeanut

5 Year Member
Ok so I can't really build more to what I have that is why I am considering outdoors. I would bring him in every night because there are a tomorrow of predators around and I just can't risk it. I just don't know where to begin with this enclosure

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
For mine closer I used pressure treated 2 x 12's. To build a frame. I put hardware cloth underneath it and filled it with a combination of organic garden soil and Pete Moss. You want to make sure that you get soil without any pesticides or fertilizers in it. You can use soil from your own yard if you want to. I put a cover on mine but you don't have to if you're bringing them in every night. If you don't have a cover I would consider making the sides taller and adding more dirt etc. Russians love to dig. You can use flowerpots on their side half filled with dirt for hides. You can plant that provides of seeds specifically for tortoises or just seeds from safe plants. Make sure it has good son but also provide shade in someway, either an overhanging tree or plants that you can put in there. You can make the terrain varied by making little hills and valleys, putting in a log or two rocks etc. and a large plant saucer for water source.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428794861.973438.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428794953.686359.jpg
Here's a couple pictures of a part of mine. The boards across the corners keep him from hiding or digging in the corners. Russians are escape artist, they can climb straight up the side especially at 90° angles. So don't put anything near the walls that you think they can climb up and over :) it doesn't have to be fancy just functional.