Russian Tortoise. Is my little guy pyramiding?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Yes he is. It is usually a sign of being kept far to dry.

Please read this thread and compare it with your setup. You have changes to make.

Ask us lots of questions and posting photos of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you

With correct care going forward the pyramidding that has happened so far will become

Qb12drew

Gilbert, AZ

Please read this thread and compare it with your setup. You have changes to make.

Ask us lots of questions and posting photos of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you

With correct care going forward the pyramidding that has happened so far will become

ok so my enclosure is open. It’s a cement tub mixer. So now I know it’s because it is too dry. I need to make some changes to his enclosure and put a cover on half the enclosure. I read the link thank you. But do you have any other suggestions on how to keep the humidity in the enclosure. I’m looking into getting a humidifier or a fogger for him now.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
ok so my enclosure is open. It’s a cement tub mixer. So now I know it’s because it is too dry. I need to make some changes to his enclosure and put a cover on half the enclosure. I read the link thank you. But do you have any other suggestions on how to keep the humidity in the enclosure. I’m looking into getting a humidifier or a fogger for him now.

Dont get a humidifier/fogger, they are not appropriate for torts. Torts should not be breathing in doplets of liquid water. Use coco-coir, several inches deep, then poor water into it and mix it up until it is all damp but not muddy so to speak. Then create a humid hide, basically a plastic tub upside down with a door cut in, finally keep your temps up. The combination will create natural humidity as moitsure evaporates from the substrate, the humid hide will trap that humidity as well.

Qb12drew

Gilbert, AZ
Dont get a humidifier/fogger, they are not appropriate for torts. Torts should not be breathing in doplets of liquid water. Use coco-coir, several inches deep, then poor water into it and mix it up until it is all damp but not muddy so to speak. Then create a humid hide, basically a plastic tub upside down with a door cut in, finally keep your temps up. The combination will create natural humidity as moitsure evaporates from the substrate, the humid hide will trap that humidity as well.
Ok sounds good. I appreciate the info. What about a cover for my open enclosure. I see people use foil and plexiglass. Should I be covering half of the enclosure where the plastic tub hide is.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
covering half of it wont make much difference I wouldnt think. You could cover the whole thing but that may not be necessary, the substrate changes and humid hide are the most important. Other things to be mindful of. It is suspected by reputable members here that MVB lamps exacerbate shell dryness potentially leading to pyramid growth in young torts. Also avoid spot light heat lamps, you need flood. And finally a daily soak regimen is important. A half hour a day in warm water.