Russian Tortoise Hibernation

jefe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hello,

I've had my Russian for two years. Around 2 months ago, he decided to hibernate. He did the normal fasting for a few weeks (I noticed he wasn't eating his lettuce) and then burrowed deep into his hide. The problem is that he's in an indoor enclosure in my upstairs office. It never gets much below 60 in the house and is typically in the high 60s during the day. He hasn't moved much since starting his hibernation, but I am worried that he will use up his food stores too quickly at this temperature. He seemed to give up at one point, venturing out of the hide (and I gave him some lettuce but he only took a few bites) but he is back in his hide now for a few weeks. I initially hoped he'd "get over it" when he realized food was plentiful and temps were stable but he is definitely committed to hibernating.

So...

Should I get a minifridge for him? I've found guides that recommend shoeboxes with tissue paper and using a dedicated mini-fridge that you occasionally open to let in fresh air.

OR

Should I leave him be? Let him hibernate in warm indoor temperatures and trust that he will wake himself up before he starves?

Thanks!
Jefe

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They need to have no food for 3 weeks and then cool down to fridge. What you have is a mixed activities and stages and in my view he is sleeping and not hibernation/brumating. Fridge temp has to be between 5 degrees C and 10 C some fridge do not go to this range so research. Empty stomach is important to avoid food rotting inside.
My view is that you continue now with normal routine heat, light, soaks and food through winter and next year start from August with fresh food and health checks and weight chart for growth. Around November you plan it all out for 3 weeks no food and then a fridge environment in a double box (box in a box) with shredded paper . Reading and research is also good as it is a major event for them and you

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Seems like ( if you follow the last posting) you should increase your tort‘s enclosure temperatures & extend the lighting & get it back into a “normal” routine & normal eating & soaking.

jefe

5 Year Member
Colorado
They need to have no food for 3 weeks and then cool down to fridge. What you have is a mixed activities and stages and in my view he is sleeping and not hibernation/brumating. Fridge temp has to be between 5 degrees C and 10 C some fridge do not go to this range so research. Empty stomach is important to avoid food rotting inside.
My view is that you continue now with normal routine heat, light, soaks and food through winter and next year start from August with fresh food and health checks and weight chart for growth. Around November you plan it all out for 3 weeks no food and then a fridge environment in a double box (box in a box) with shredded paper . Reading and research is also good as it is a major event for them and you

Thanks for the thorough reply! I’ll give him a soak tomorrow and fresh food, and keep him active for winter.

LeeB60

Neola Ut
Hi I read yours that reply to this guy and I was just wondering my Russians been I think trying to hibernate but he's still eating a little bit and I was told to keep the temperature up so he wouldn't hibernate but I think he's bound and determined to hibernate. My question is do I still do the three weeks with no food and and slowly cool him down or should I wait until next year to hibernate him? And if so I mean will it hurt him if I don't let him hibernate? I don't understand a lot about hibernation cuz I've only had him 2 years and last year he didn't hibernate. I am very very confused on what to do for the poor little guy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I read yours that reply to this guy and I was just wondering my Russians been I think trying to hibernate but he's still eating a little bit and I was told to keep the temperature up so he wouldn't hibernate but I think he's bound and determined to hibernate. My question is do I still do the three weeks with no food and and slowly cool him down or should I wait until next year to hibernate him? And if so I mean will it hurt him if I don't let him hibernate? I don't understand a lot about hibernation cuz I've only had him 2 years and last year he didn't hibernate. I am very very confused on what to do for the poor little guy.
You need to make a decision and act upon it. Its not up to the tortoise. Either you want to brumate him and you take those steps, or you don't and you take the steps to keep him up. Simply warming the enclosure a bit is not enough to keep him up, as you are seeing.