Russian Tortoise Friends

eliseandboris

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi Everyone! I was told I should introduce myself and Boris:) He’s come a long way since I started helping him. Please don’t judge as I’m step by step providing him with what he needs. He’s in an office situation, and hasn’t had an ideal set up.
I’m currently working on building a “table” out of a toy box. I’ve got a few questions too. I know the space isn’t “ideal, but it’s what I can do right now. He’ll be moving from a 40 gallon tank into a two tiered 3x2 home. The second tier being a loft he can climb up to for basking. I’m so excited for him to have some space to turn around and climb.
Now for questions: I see tables with such low edges. How much do I need to worry about him climbing or falling. I hear they are escape artists, but then see them in tables with a 2 inch ledge. My instincts are leaning towards a least an 8 inch wall so he can’t climb out, or fall off his platform.
Other question is how high does the hide area under the stairs need to be? He’ll bask on top and have a house with two openings below. I think….

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Everyone! I was told I should introduce myself and Boris:) He’s come a long way since I started helping him. Please don’t judge as I’m step by step providing him with what he needs. He’s in an office situation, and hasn’t had an ideal set up.
I’m currently working on building a “table” out of a toy box. I’ve got a few questions too. I know the space isn’t “ideal, but it’s what I can do right now. He’ll be moving from a 40 gallon tank into a two tiered 3x2 home. The second tier being a loft he can climb up to for basking. I’m so excited for him to have some space to turn around and climb.
Now for questions: I see tables with such low edges. How much do I need to worry about him climbing or falling. I hear they are escape artists, but then see them in tables with a 2 inch ledge. My instincts are leaning towards a least an 8 inch wall so he can’t climb out, or fall off his platform.
Other question is how high does the hide area under the stairs need to be? He’ll bask on top and have a house with two openings below. I think….
For wall height, look at the length of the tortoise, then add the length of the back legs stretched all the way out, then add the length of the front legs stretched all the way out, then add another 3-6 inches for safety. I'd go about 18 inches, and that will allow room for substrate too.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
For wall height, look at the length of the tortoise, then add the length of the back legs stretched all the way out, then add the length of the front legs stretched all the way out, then add another 3-6 inches for safety. I'd go about 18 inches, and that will allow room for substrate too.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Thanks so much. I thought maybe I was being over cautious looking at all of the tables I see being made or sold. I’m planning on screening off the top. Do you think I need his loft part that far from the top with a screen there?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks so much. I thought maybe I was being over cautious looking at all of the tables I see being made or sold. I’m planning on screening off the top. Do you think I need his loft part that far from the top with a screen there?
Probably not.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Thanks, Tom. How clever are they exactly? Should I feel safe with a heavy-ish top or do I need to latch it closed in several places?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks, Tom. How clever are they exactly? Should I feel safe with a heavy-ish top or do I need to latch it closed in several places?
I would make a latch or two just to prevent top from accidental falling in the enclosure or jamming legs if he manage somehow to climb the wall - off the plant pot, hide or whatever. They are strong and persistent more than intelligent but not dumb beyond any hope.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
I would make a latch or two just to prevent top from accidental falling in the enclosure or jamming legs if he manage somehow to climb the wall - off the plant pot, hide or whatever. They are strong and persistent more than intelligent but not dumb beyond any hope.
Thanks, Alex. I’m going to play it safe for sure. Thanks for the input! He has so much glass above him right now I just do t know what to expect. I can’t wait to get him in his new set up! I’ll share pics soon :)