Russian Tortoise Enclosure (pls help)

Coraleaf0

Location (City and/or State)
Washinton
Hi, I’m a pretty new member and upon reading the tortoise care sheet posted on some other threads, I realized my enclosure/living space is too small for the lovely two tortoises living there. (Well, I kind of thought it might be too small but wasn’t sure). (I know that pairs of tortoises usually don’t get along and it may not be a good idea to keep multiple Russian tortoises together... but Leopard and Sweet Tooth have always seemed to get along for the nearly 3 years they’ve lived here).
Now for the main questions:
  • What can I do (at home in quarantine) to improve the enclosure?
  • Does the lamp positioning look ok?
  • Is the water area good?
  • The bark on the floor is actually dry, not moist as I read it should be... does that apply to indoor enclosures?
  • I have also read that glass tanks are bad but I’m not sure what I can do right now... what can be done about it?
5B0EB7FE-302B-4640-83E2-37016E2BD82A.jpegB246C236-9CA4-427D-A936-80166830E4A8.jpeg4661CBF7-18EE-4C2A-BADE-722C784BE157.jpeg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! We’re very glad that you’re looking to improve your care.

-they definitely don’t get along, and need to be separated as soon as you are able. Things like “cuddling”, “following”, sleeping together, sitting on top of each other, and just being together in general may look cute, but they are actually signs of aggression. They are one tortoise trying to push, chase, and stress the other out of its territory. Being kept in pairs takes a huge toll on their health through the stress it induces, and they physically do not have the ability to love or enjoy eachother's presence. Being together that long solely means that they have been stressed for that long, not that they should stay together.

- see if there’s a way for you to create two secure, 8x4 foot minimum outdoor enclosures. They really need an upgrade, especially since you have two in that enclosure. The size is certainly the main problem with it.

- what kinds of lamps do you have? It doesn’t really matter how they’re positioned as long as you’re achieving the correct temperatures. If you’re using a compact UVB bulb, turn it off and trade it for a linear tube. However, if you can get them outside a few hours a week at least, you don’t need UVB.

- The water dish needs to be switched out for a large terra cotta saucer. Ramp bowls are much harder to use, and a flipping hazard.

-the bark needs to be kept moist. It’s easiest to dump a bucket of water in and mix it around.

-glass tanks are only a problem if they’re improperly sized, which they always are for adult Russians like yours. Really, the only way to make it better is to create two 8x4 foot minimum enclosures.

be sure to give these a read if you haven’t already-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Coraleaf0

Washinton
Thank you so much for your response! Yes, I have read both of those but I think the images have been deleted or are no longer available. Also, I don’t think I could make a long term outdoor enclosure for them because the climate where I live is pretty cold and rainy still at this time of year. I will definitely fix the issues with bark and water area. The lamps are these: (see photo) and one of them I don’t have the box right now. How would you go about making the 4’x8’ enclosures for them during this time? (full quarantine, can’t visit stores)

... Edit: uh oh is this the bad kind of UVB lamp?

Attachments

• BBCFD548-3BF1-4D6B-B248-71D5CC7E9B5B.jpeg
    BBCFD548-3BF1-4D6B-B248-71D5CC7E9B5B.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DE35620B-9BC3-4A80-9930-B95404F8F748.jpeg
    DE35620B-9BC3-4A80-9930-B95404F8F748.jpeg
    433.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Coraleaf0

Washinton
Also, are these things suitable for use and how should I be using them?
Are the bowls ok and is it good to use one of them as a water bowl instead of the ramp?

Attachments

• F84E3D4B-F30E-4144-AE80-E0F9FC280485.jpeg
    F84E3D4B-F30E-4144-AE80-E0F9FC280485.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you so much for your response! Yes, I have read both of those but I think the images have been deleted or are no longer available. Also, I don’t think I could make a long term outdoor enclosure for them because the climate where I live is pretty cold and rainy still at this time of year. I will definitely fix the issues with bark and water area. The lamps are these: (see photo) and one of them I don’t have the box right now. How would you go about making the 4’x8’ enclosures for them during this time? (full quarantine, can’t visit stores)

... Edit: uh oh is this the bad kind of UVB lamp?
Yes, that is the bad kind of UVB lamp.

This is a post I put together for the reptile site I moderate, but if you scroll down to the “enclosures” section, there are a few links to enclosure ideas.

Neither of those lamps should be used. Your tortoises can see both the color and the light of those red lamps. They need complete darkness at night, and you don’t need night heat unless temps fall below 60.

Spots are much too desiccating in shells. You need flood bulbs, like Phillips 65 watt incandescent flood bulbs. You may need 2-3 per basking spot in an 8x4 foot table.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Also, are these things suitable for use and how should I be using them?
Are the bowls ok and is it good to use one of them as a water bowl instead of the ramp?
I looked into the food, and I can’t say I’m too impressed with the ingredients. Zoo med’s grassland tortoise food would be much better, but I suppose that food can be used in moderation along with fresh weeds or high fibered greens like chicories from the grocery store. The calcium can be sprinkled in food 1-3 times a week.

The large water bowl is better than the ramp, but it would still need to be exchanged for a saucer. You can also order the saucer from amazon.

Coraleaf0

Washinton
Yes, that is the bad kind of UVB lamp.

This is a post I put together for the reptile site I moderate, but if you scroll down to the “enclosures” section, there are a few links to enclosure ideas.

Neither of those lamps should be used. Your tortoises can see both the color and the light of those red lamps. They need complete darkness at night, and you don’t need night heat unless temps fall below 60.

Spots are much too desiccating in shells. You need flood bulbs, like Phillips 65 watt incandescent flood bulbs. You may need 2-3 per basking spot in an 8x4 foot table.
Thank you!

Coraleaf0

Washinton
I looked into the food, and I can’t say I’m too impressed with the ingredients. Zoo med’s grassland tortoise food would be much better, but I suppose that food can be used in moderation along with fresh weeds or high fibered greens like chicories from the grocery store. The calcium can be sprinkled in food 1-3 times a week.

The large water bowl is better than the ramp, but it would still need to be exchanged for a saucer. You can also order the saucer from amazon.
Okay thanks! What’s the difference between the large water coal and a saucer though?