Russian tortoise enclosure

SarahB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Holland mi
Is there something documented by a herpetologist stating that 4’x8’ or bigger is the correct size for a Russian Toetoise?

I’m asking because I have mine in a 2’x 6’ space. Two zoomed enclosures put together. I feel horribly guilty.

I hear him through the day banging about sometimes scratching but not continual. I live In a condo so creating something outdoors isn’t an option.

I reached out last fall regarding this since he was a rescue living in a 12”x36” tank. At that time I wasn’t aware of the space requirement.

Long story short, here I am again. I’d love to have more concrete evidence or documentation before I either try to rehome or build something bigger and then discover I’m still hearing the same noises of him living inside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To be honest, I don't know where the 4'x8' thing came from. Here's my two cents: As long as a Russian tortoise has "walls" he's going to dig and scratch to get out. They are much better suited to outdoor living. But many people keep them indoors and the tortoise does just fine.

Provide the biggest enclosure you can, add lots of sight barriers so he can't see from one end to the other, feed him right and he should be just fine.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Tom might know where this size came from.
In the wild though they cover a very big area for their small size. A 4x8 is minimum and still very small for what they are used to having in the wild.
If you can add on or some add up, giving a second level with a ramp to it then why not. If for some reason this is not possible, then like Yvonne said, make it more interesting and seem bigger with sight barriers, plants, maybe even a branch and a couple different kinds of substrate.
Btw, they like to dig down and like mine, usually along the perimeter, never the middle, so always can hear some digging as he hits the sides. Mine lives outside in spring/summer/fall depending on temps

SarahB

5 Year Member
Holland mi
Thank you so much for your replies. I definitely feel better. I am going be making something bigger but no longer feel desperate and incompetent. What type of wood would you recommend?

Also, making it more interesting will be fun and rewarding as I improve the quality of his life! 🥰

TortCrush

Illinois
Is there something documented by a herpetologist stating that 4’x8’ or bigger is the correct size for a Russian Toetoise?

I’m asking because I have mine in a 2’x 6’ space. Two zoomed enclosures put together. I feel horribly guilty.

I hear him through the day banging about sometimes scratching but not continual. I live In a condo so creating something outdoors isn’t an option.

I reached out last fall regarding this since he was a rescue living in a 12”x36” tank. At that time I wasn’t aware of the space requirement.

Long story short, here I am again. I’d love to have more concrete evidence or documentation before I either try to rehome or build something bigger and then discover I’m still hearing the same noises of him living inside.
I think it is awesome that you rescued a tortoise! Like you, we have limited space, and do feel guilty about the care we are able to provide. We just try to do the best we can. I think it is great you were brave enough to help out!

xyhapu

VA
4' x 8' is a standard size for construction materials like plywood or steel, so I'm suspicious someone threw that number out there out of convenience or familiarity.

That said, I agree with everyone else that even that size is technically still 'small', and that bigger is better if possible. Alternatives to sheer size might be things like putting artificial plants/vines along the walls, so that instead of the tortoise seeing the edge of the enclosure as a place where he feels trapped and exposed, he sees it as a place to hide next to and feel secure. And generally giving him a varied and complex environment to navigate, instead of just a flat 'plain' where he has nothing else to do except walk on one floor and bump into four walls.

Tortoise tables and similar are also good ideas if space is a constraint. Tortoises take up surprisingly little space in terms of cubic volume, since the amount of vertical space they need is very little (mostly only needed for your lighting/heating solutions), so if you get creative and are a bit handy you can give them a lot of ground area to cover while sacrificing almost no living or storage space for yourself. Replacing your bed with a bunk bed, for a random example, and using the top bunk as a habitat - most people don't use the vertical space above their beds, so you don't really lose anything (and it's warmer for them up there).

TortCrush

Illinois
Attached is a care sheet for Russian tortoises from the Northern California Hepatological Society. I just wanted to thank everyone for letting me join and participate in the conversation. I have definitely learned just how high the care bar is set on the tortoise forum and I commend you on your efforts. For me going forward, I will be looking to find the forum for the dead-beat tortoise owners :). Wishing you all the best!

Attachments

• NCHCRussianTortoiseCareSheet.pdf
    784 KB · Views: 7

TortCrush

Illinois
@Tom might know where this size came from.
In the wild though they cover a very big area for their small size. A 4x8 is minimum and still very small for what they are used to having in the wild.
If you can add on or some add up, giving a second level with a ramp to it then why not. If for some reason this is not possible, then like Yvonne said, make it more interesting and seem bigger with sight barriers, plants, maybe even a branch and a couple different kinds of substrate.
Btw, they like to dig down and like mine, usually along the perimeter, never the middle, so always can hear some digging as he hits the sides. Mine lives outside in spring/summer/fall depending on temps
Not sure if a “mural” is a good idea or not but thought I would share our experience with it. We purchased a 36”x24” laminated poster of one of the national parks and cut it into four 6” strips lengthwise. When we put it up, we really didn’t expect much of a reaction, but Crush immediately tried to eat the plants then get in the stream. When she could not, she huffed off back to her hide. Now, she’s accepted that it’s not real but feels comfortable blending in with the scenery.20220619_085225.jpg

TortCrush

Illinois
Not sure if a “mural” is a good idea or not but thought I would share our experience with it. We purchased a 36”x24” laminated poster of one of the national parks and cut it into four 6” strips lengthwise. When we put it up, we really didn’t expect much of a reaction, but Crush immediately tried to eat the plants then get in the stream. When she could not, she huffed off back to her hide. Now, she’s accepted that it’s not real but feels comfortable blending in with the scenery.View attachment 346256
Also, should add that we should have gotten the reptile liner in tan. Didn't know they had that before we purchased. We keep doubles of each area of liner and just exchange them to wash when ready to clean so it might be awhile before we can replace with the tan.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The fake grass and hay/straw is not appropriate substrates. She needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure.
She appears to possibly have mbd. @Yvonne G can confirm.

TortCrush

Illinois
The fake grass and hay/straw is not appropriate substrates. She needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure.
She appears to possibly have mbd. @Yvonne G can confirm.
Thank you for your response and the encouragement. As explained in my previous post “Make Your Own Habitat Heater”, "Make Your Own Habitat Heater", the MBD was caused by a faulty ballast for a 24” tube UV bulb (ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0), not the orchard grass. Unfortunately, despite changing the bulb every six months, the light was only putting out about 1 on the UV scale. We didn’t find the problem for several years until we spent $260 dollars to purchase a Solarmeter UV meter (perhaps the forum could crowdfund to make these available to rent?). Believe me, we feel terrible about it, but wanted to post videos and pictures to encourage those owners in similar situations (those who are only able to provide acceptable care, not necessarily optimal). Perhaps not so many perfectly healthy tortoises will end up in rescue groups where they are being euthanized. There appear to be at least 60 or so listings on your adoption page just since the start of the year.