Russian Tortoise diet questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
my tortoise LOVES broccoli and kale.
i read that broccoli isn't good for russian tortoises.
and i read that kale should be given in moderation.

how much is too much?
i usually feed my tortoise a spring mix or herb mix.
i cut up zucchini sometimes, and usually put little pieces of broccoli in there also.
sometimes i give him kale instead of broccoli.
is this ok?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Moderation usually means as part of a varied diet, like 5 to 10 percent or so is what I would guess. As for broccoli, personally I would just avid it, but that is me.

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
dmmj said:
Moderation usually means as part of a varied diet, like 5 to 10 percent or so is what I would guess. As for broccoli, personally I would just avid it, but that is me.

what does avid mean??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry I meant avoid it.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Oscar gets a broccoli leaf every few months. Kale even less.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Conventional wisdom is that broccoli should not be fed to tortoises. I have to wonder why, those, considering that broccoli is in the genus Brassica ... just like kale, mustard greens, and collard greens, all of which are fine to feed as part of a varied diet. Cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and bok choy are also in the genus Brassica, but all are on the "no-no" list. Brassica species in general are high in oxalic acid, which can disrupt calcium metabolism in high amounts, but in moderation, it is okay. It seems to me that, if a tortoise is willing to eat a plant, then it should be okay to include it as part of a varied diet. Too much of one item is bad, but if tortoises like eating it, I see nothing wrong with feeding it to them occasionally. Tortoises have good nutritional wisdom, meaning they're good at smelling what good to eat. As long as plants aren't covered with pesticides and herbicides, which tortoises have not evolved to detect, then they should instinctively know what's good for them, and how much.

Another caveat to this is fruits, including strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, cucumber, and zucchinis. These are a good source of moisture, but they are rich in sugars and low in fiber. Fruits are good as a rare treat (no more than once a month), but if they are fed too often, tortoises can get diarrhea because their gut microbiota get disturbed. Sugars are a good source of energy, but are fairly hard to find in nature, which is why animals from turtles to people have evolved to crave them. However, If we have too much access to high-sugar, low-fiber items like fruits (or candy, in our case), we can develop digestive problems.

Personally, I have never given my torts broccoli, simply because it is so big and tough, and I have always assumed that they would not be interested. However, they do like tearing into collard greens stems from time to time, so I can believe that they might like to eat some broccoli, too.

You can offer them kale every couple of weeks, but I wouldn't offer them zucchini (or any other fruit) more than once a month. As for broccoli, as I said, I have never offered it to my torts, partly because it's said to be bad (high oxalate content), and partly because it's so fibrous. But again, once a month should be fine, and maybe even as often as every other week, if they'll go for it.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
ceci3692 said:
my tortoise will be disappointed!
broccoli and kale are literally two of his favorite foods

Really? My guys eat kale, but they're not crazy about it. As for broccoli, I just offered the male some steamed broccoli for the first time, because he's picky and didn't want much dandelion (unlike the female, who was scarfing it up). I'll let you know how he likes it. :)

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
GeoTerraTestudo said:
ceci3692 said:
my tortoise will be disappointed!
broccoli and kale are literally two of his favorite foods

Really? My guys eat kale, but they're not crazy about it. As for broccoli, I just offered the male some steamed broccoli for the first time, because he's picky and didn't want much dandelion (unlike the female, who was scarfing it up). I'll let you know how he likes it. :)

yes really! if there is a dish full of a mix of veggies including broccoli or kale. he will ALWAYS eat the broccoli first.
i think it might be because of the texture?
its cute he always gets broccoli all over his face :p

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
ceci3692 said:
yes really! if there is a dish full of a mix of veggies including broccoli or kale. he will ALWAYS eat the broccoli first.
i think it might be because of the texture?
its cute he always gets broccoli all over his face :p

My male nibbled at the steamed broccoli, but he didn't eat very much. Maybe I'll offer them both some raw broccoli sometime, and see what happens. Do you feed yours raw or steamed broccoli?

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
My RT's would kill for Brocolinni from CostCo those huge bags. I was naughty and had no idea it wasn't good for them, until I read up. But boy did they kill the flowers and stalks, they seem to be more flexible? They have a better time chomping those. If, if a head of Broc ends up in the house, i sneak them a piece.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
GeoTerraTestudo said:
cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and bok choy are also in the genus Brassica, but all are on the "no-no" list.

on thetortoisetable site it says that brussel sprouts are ok, but as you said, in moderation

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
As I mentioned in another thread, sometimes I think the Tortoise Table is off, because there are some plants on there labeled "Do not feed," but that tortoises are known to eat in the wild.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
GeoTerraTestudo said:
As I mentioned in another thread, sometimes I think the Tortoise Table is off, because there are some plants on there labeled "Do not feed," but that tortoises are known to eat in the wild.

I think TTT really errs to the side of caution. I've seen quite a few plants on there labelled as "Do Not Feed", but several other sites label them as ok in moderation.

sportychick

5 Year Member
OK I read u can give.lilac question is can they have the flower and leaves or just leaves? Read it from the site above in the tree section:)

Doesn't say which part.... thanks

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
My male nibbled at the steamed broccoli, but he didn't eat very much. Maybe I'll offer them both some raw broccoli sometime, and see what happens. Do you feed yours raw or steamed broccoli?
[/quote]

I actually haven't tried steamed broccoli! never even thought of that to be honest but he loves it raw. i just break off little chunks of the broccolli so they like mini trees n mix that with the rest of his veggies

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
ceci3692 said:
I actually haven't tried steamed broccoli! never even thought of that to be honest but he loves it raw. i just break off little chunks of the broccolli so they like mini trees n mix that with the rest of his veggies

I gave both my Russians broccoli this morning, so I'll see how much of it they ate when I get home. :)

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
GeoTerraTestudo said:
ceci3692 said:

I gave both my Russians broccoli this morning, so I'll see how much of it they ate when I get home. :)

haha did they eat any? Troubles is eating broccoli RIGHT now :p he is so cuteee!

Status
Not open for further replies.