Russian tortoise care

LucyB_Ry

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi everyone,

First off apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place. I've been browsing the forum for a while and picked up a lot of good tips, but I'm still a bit unsure about a few things so wanted some advice.

I've been looking after my neighbour's Russian tortoise for a few weeks now and then when they've been on holiday. Since returning from their last trip, they've decided they no longer want him, so if asked if I would like to keep him. Of course I jumped at the chance. Up until now I'd just been following their care instructions, but now I've started looking into it a bit more, I think I'm doing quite a lot of things wrong.

I've already decided to swap out the sand in his enclosure and just replace it with all orchid bark. Do you think this is the best alternative? I'm also unsure if I have the correct lights? I'm also aware that his enclosure is quite small, but at the moment I'm just working with what he came with.

I've also got him booked into the vet tomorrow evening just to give him the once over. I'm a bit concerned about his mouth. I can't seem to find any other posts with such a large bottom lip? I've also been told that he's been over fed. Supplying fresh food for 20 minutes a day seems like the most common advice?

Sorry for such a long post. I'm really still finding my feet with him, and starting to questions everything I've been doing when he's been here on his holidays! I've attached some photos, too. Sorry if they haven't worked - I think I've done it right!

Thanks for all your help!

forum a.jpg forum b.jpg forum c.jpg forum d.jpg forum e.jpg forum f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

That's a pretty nice habitat. It will do until you can get something a bit bigger. But the coil-shaped light is not the best source of UVB. They have been known to burn BABY tortoise's eyes. Your tortoise isn't a baby, so it's probably ok, but I would still get rid of it and get a Mercury Vapor Bulb instead. With the MVB you can also get rid of the basking bulb, because it provides heat and UVB in one fixture. When you get the MVB you'll have to figure out how to hang it straight down, because it shortens the life of the bulb to be at an angle like that.

The under jaw problem is from a lack of calcium while he was growing. The only way to fix it now is to file it. You have to keep after it for quite a few months, probably the rest of his life. Baby steps. You can't take too much down at a time.

I'm more than a little worried about his right front leg, though. You need to take him out into the bright sun, and with a magnifying glass give it a very close inspection. It might be that he has a hair tightly wrapped around it and embedded.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
160-watt.jpg

Amazon sells this brand, but almost any brand will do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

LucyB_Ry

Scotland
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

That's a pretty nice habitat. It will do until you can get something a bit bigger. But the coil-shaped light is not the best source of UVB. They have been known to burn BABY tortoise's eyes. Your tortoise isn't a baby, so it's probably ok, but I would still get rid of it and get a Mercury Vapor Bulb instead. With the MVB you can also get rid of the basking bulb, because it provides heat and UVB in one fixture. When you get the MVB you'll have to figure out how to hang it straight down, because it shortens the life of the bulb to be at an angle like that.

The under jaw problem is from a lack of calcium while he was growing. The only way to fix it now is to file it. You have to keep after it for quite a few months, probably the rest of his life. Baby steps. You can't take too much down at a time.

I'm more than a little worried about his right front leg, though. You need to take him out into the bright sun, and with a magnifying glass give it a very close inspection. It might be that he has a hair tightly wrapped around it and embedded.

Thank you! I'd been looking at those bulbs so glad to hear that's the right kind. Which part of the leg? I've had a close look and both legs seem to look the same? I'll need to get my hands on a magnifiying glass and have a better look.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Please read the "Beginners Mistake" Thread and the different care sheets available, and ask ANY question when in need of help.

Personally I would replace the glass with wood, as torts do not understand the concept of glass. Consequently, they'd keep trying to get out of the enclosure. This would cause a lot of stress.:(

Give your tort daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid dehydration. Your tort seems to be pyramiding, therefore make sure there is enough humidity.;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The right front leg. Look at that leg in the 5th picture you posted above. It's red and looks raw. Maybe I'm all wet and just looking for trouble where there is none.

LucyB_Ry

Scotland
The right front leg. Look at that leg in the 5th picture you posted above. It's red and looks raw. Maybe I'm all wet and just looking for trouble where there is none.

Ah OK. It's been that colour since I've had him, I think it's actually stain from food pellets. He came with a box of Komodo Tortoise Diet which his last owners were giving him once a week and it seems to have stained his legs and a bit of his face. I've bathed him since those pictures were taken and it is slowly coming off.

LucyB_Ry

Scotland
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Please read the "Beginners Mistake" Thread and the different care sheets available, and ask ANY question when in need of help.

Personally I would replace the glass with wood, as torts do not understand the concept of glass. Consequently, they'd keep trying to get out of the enclosure. This would cause a lot of stress.:(

Give your tort daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid dehydration. Your tort seems to be pyramiding, therefore make sure there is enough humidity.;)

Thank you! I'm think of removing the glass and incorporating the enclosure into a larger one, once space permits!

Am I right and thinking the substrate should be ever so slightly moist?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! I'm think of removing the glass and incorporating the enclosure into a larger one, once space permits!

The glass thing is an old persistent myth. Glass is fine. I, and several other experienced tortoise keepers here on the forum, have been using glass tanks for tortoises for decades with no issues. That pane of glass is the least of your worries.

Yes. Substrate should be damp, but not wet. They need some moderate humidity. The open top of that enclosure coupled with the dry substrate and heat lamp have created an environment that is far too dry. That is why your tortoise has pyramided.

LucyB_Ry

Scotland
The glass thing is an old persistent myth. Glass is fine. I, and several other experienced tortoise keepers here on the forum, have been using glass tanks for tortoises for decades with no issues. That pane of glass is the least of your worries.

Yes. Substrate should be damp, but not wet. They need some moderate humidity. The open top of that enclosure coupled with the dry substrate and heat lamp have created an environment that is far too dry. That is why your tortoise has pyramided.

Great, thank you. I've removed the sand and aiming to get lots more substrate in, as it's a pretty thin layer at the moment so not much digging opportunity.

LucyB_Ry

Scotland

Should I be providing any sort of heat source in the enclosed part at the end? I read in the care sheets about providing a humid enclosed spot for them to hide in? His previous owners have a heat may in the enclosed part, but I haven't turned it on yet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should I be providing any sort of heat source in the enclosed part at the end? I read in the care sheets about providing a humid enclosed spot for them to hide in? His previous owners have a heat may in the enclosed part, but I haven't turned it on yet.

This depends on your temperatures and the tortoises behavior. There should be a cooler side and a warmer side with a basking area. If the tortoise stays under the heat lamp all day and hardly ever leaves, you might need a warmer ambient. Likewise, if the tortoise goes in the "cave" and doesn't come out, you might also need a warmer ambient.

What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low. Also, what is the temp inside the hide area?

LucyB_Ry

Scotland
This depends on your temperatures and the tortoises behavior. There should be a cooler side and a warmer side with a basking area. If the tortoise stays under the heat lamp all day and hardly ever leaves, you might need a warmer ambient. Likewise, if the tortoise goes in the "cave" and doesn't come out, you might also need a warmer ambient.

What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low. Also, what is the temp inside the hide area?

I don't know the temps yet as I only got him yesterday and haven't got a themometet yet. I'm going to get one tomorrow, along with a humidity gauge. I've just replaced the sand with orchid bark and he seems to be digging down into it. I think I need some other bits and pieces to put in, as it looks very plain compared to others I've seen.

Is the pyramiding a major health issue? I know I can't reverse what was done before I got him but I definitely don't want him to be suffering and get worse.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

There are very many threads on substrate, which will certainly help you, Personally, I think it should be moist so as to provide humidity.