Russian tortoise appetites

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Button, my relatively new Russian, came to me about two months ago. He is full grown and a wild caught adult when purchased by the previous owner.

He is still a little picky, though I have been able to incorporate a lot more variety than what he was used to, and has never really had much of an appetite.

when fed, he may not always eat, and when he does, it’s never even an entire handful of what he’s given. Just a few bites, and he’s done. I have also not seen him graze in his outdoor enclosure, though he does eat when I offer him greens from a plate.

I have never seen him poop other than in small amounts when soaking.

Am I just used to my sulcata eating mounds of food 3 times his size and pooping like a horse over the course of the day, or does my russian have less of an appetite than most? He is otherwise very active, basks a good portion of the day when he’s not sleeping, and appears to be healthy.
06230798-D58F-4DDC-A6F4-A26503FA1409.jpeg9AE44DFD-2814-42B9-A117-B3B38097D96C.jpeg
Basking temp is 95-100 and maintained with two flood bulbs. There is no uvb because he stays in his 8x8 outdoor pen at least every other day. Indoor enclosure is roughly 28 square feet, with cypress mulch substrate.
978C370C-6AC2-457D-AFFB-97085A9BEAB8.jpeg

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs,CO
It looks like everything is right, my russian has a huge appetite. She eats like twice her size each day and poops a lot. It’s unusual for an rt to not eat so much. Sorry I’m not much help, hope that Button starts eating more soon.