Russian Tortoise and Substrate Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

marissafissa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi! New to the forum!
I own two RTs Franklin and Rose (separate housing), and am having an issue with their substrate. In the beginning, I tried alfalfa pellets (recommended by a reptile shop employee, obviously an issue in protein), and Timothy hay (that came with Franklin). However, it seemed difficult for him to maneuver around. After receiving Rose, for cleaning reasons, I experimented with reptile carpet and Timothy hay. After much research, I obviously came to the conclusion that this was the less-than-ideal substrate and so I attempted to introduce a 50/50 topsoil and play sand combination filling half of their enclosures with the mix. This was unsuccessful. They made no attempt to burrow into the mixture or have very much to do with it at all and instead tried to make a shelter out of the cup of hay I left for them. I became concerned about respiratory issues when I heard one of them sneeze, and so I decided I needed to find a solution before the situation became serious. At the moment, I am using Critter Care Natural Pet Bedding (from the rabbit section) because it supposed to have "low dust" which compared to the Timothy hay should be at least one step up. It is made from "reclaimed wood pulp" and is light and fluffy somewhat like the hay. They took right to it. I need thoughts and suggestions. Will this substrate suffice? What can I do to wean them off of this substrate to something more ideal? Anything helps. Thanks!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Alfalfa pellets are definitely a poor substrate for tortoises for a number of reasons.

I use pure coco coir, and always recommend it to others. Others use cypress mulch, top soil, or potting soil. All of these are good at retaining moisture and providing humidity, although cypress mulch is hard to dig in. I have also found that cypress mulch and soil can get moldy and infested with insects, while coco coir is pretty resistant to those things. It's also easy to spot clean, looks and feels like soil, and even allows tortoises to dig in it. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yep, coir or organic topsoil (home supply stores). I use a combination, but coir alone is great.
Keep the underlayers moist.
When my torts are inside, I sometimes have alfalfa hay or Aspen in a separated area (hay can mold, change often) and I have to say my torts really like burrowing in it at night.
Some torts just don't burrow, they just go in a corner, etc., and hang out.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome! I hope you get that Substate figured out. 50/50 coco noir and organic soil is best. Make sure that the soil has no fertilizer in it. As a side note, if you have a dog, plan on getting a dog, or allow dogs to visit your home, please read Tom's thread under my name. It's a must read.

Maceon279

5 Year Member
I use Coconut coir (fibre) with a thin layer of repti - bark. Repti bark is cypress bark chips not mulch.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Maceon279 said:
I use Coconut coir (fibre) with a thin layer of repti - bark. Repti bark is cypress bark chips not mulch.

Repti-Bark is actually fir bark, not cypress. That's why it doesn't hold moisture very well.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Welcome. Something i suggest and personally use are coco husk (brick placed in water and BAM! its so fun to watch) and barks. Please dont use wood chips or shavings. it doesnt hold humidity and its super dry. =) Good luck on your torts...

Jlant85 said:
Welcome. Something i suggest and personally use are coco husk (brick placed in water and BAM! its so fun to watch) and barks. Please dont use wood chips or shavings. it doesnt hold humidity and its super dry. =) Good luck on your torts...

Status
Not open for further replies.