Hello! First time owner with a Russian tortoise!

Cosmoandwinnie

Location (City and/or State)
United States
485EB8DD-E371-4D9D-BB54-7A275BE93E88.jpeg B01AADFB-8643-4A7D-8C3F-B209A7EBF43C.jpeg Hello,
Just today I rescued a little Russian tortoise. She’s two years old and her name is Rosa.
She came in a 40 gallon tank full of rabbit hay and bedding, with a big ol bag of veggies, pellets, and mealworms.
I’ve never had a tortoise before. I have a skink, and a snake, and I have turtles, but never a tortoise.
The most I know is that they’re herbivores that need a high fiber low protein diet, and that they probably don’t eat mealworms. I won’t be adding them to her diet until I’m sure it’s good for her.
It’s winter and very cold out so she’ll be staying in the tank until it warms up and I can get her a tortoise table on my screened porch. But is the Timothy hay a good idea? Doesn’t she need soil?

In short, I need some good advice. I want Rosa to grow up healthy and happy with me.
Here is a picture of her and her new home.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! Theres a lot that needs to be changed.

-That is not a Russian tortoise. Looks to be either a Hermann or a Greek. Please give us a picture of it’s plastron.

-this tortoise requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. There is not tank or tub big enough.

-hay is not a good substrate. It molds when wet, and he probably won’t eat it. Use fine grade orchid bark, cypress mulch, or coco coir.

-no, he should not be eating mealworms.

-he needs a large, shallow water bowl big enough for him to fit in. I would use a terra cotta saucer.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
That is not a russian . Pictures o her top and bottom will be needed to properly identify her.

Cosmoandwinnie

United States
1655B150-4E22-467A-818A-6E98D1614F7D.jpeg 7D55DCCC-4D6E-4601-9469-8685703635F4.jpeg Okay.
Nothing of this looked right when I got her. All I knew was that there was a Russian tort who needed a good home. I’ll be at the pet store first thing to get her proper bedding.
Please let me know if there’s pictures are what you need!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Yep, definitely a Hermanns if some sort. Be sure to read those links and make changes :)

Cosmoandwinnie

United States
I’ll be reading those links tonight and I guess I have my work cut out for me this winter!
Would it be detrimental for her to spend a week or so in the terrarium? I’ll be changing the substrate and giving her a water bowl but I don’t have anything currently to move her into, and I don’t have a backyard.
I’ll be building her a home on the porch. Would a large escape-proof kiddy pool/sandbox be fine until she gets much bigger? I’ll be in contact with someone who can build her a tortoise box.

Mo & Bolt

Uk
If he is allowed an open tort table , you could do what I done and that is use an old book case and with shelves out. And line it . He is a lovely boy