Russian tort from Petsmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makir

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I'm Mercedes. I have been wanting to get a Russian tort for a few months now. I have been researching them and their care before actually getting one. I have read a lot about not getting torts from pet stores, for they are not well cared for. I just feel like if I get a tort from Pet smart maybe I'm saving its life? Or giving it the home it deserves? Am I wrong to think so?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
Well if you buy a Russian tortoise from PetSmart then the store will just get another one, and the trade will continue. If I were you I would I look on CraigsList continually (that's where I got both my Russian's) and look on this forum! :) Plus the tortoise could die if you get it from PetSmart and and then that's $75.00-$100.00 down the drain.... The key is patience, trust me I know ;) By the way Welcome to TFO! :D

Makir

5 Year Member
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Well if you buy a Russian tortoise from PetSmart then the store will just get another one, and the trade will continue. If I were you I would I look on CraigsList continually (that's where I got both my Russian's) and look on this forum! :) Plus the tortoise could die if you get it from PetSmart and and then that's $75.00-$100.00 down the drain.... The key is patience, trust me I know ;) By the way Welcome to TFO! :D

Thanks =] I'll keep looking then.

D-Lop

5 Year Member
I'd recommend going with a captive bred. Petsmart loads their torts in small crates with hundreds of other torts. During this time they get EXTREMELY stressed and usually get loaded with parasites. Then they are shoved (atleast in my store) in a 1x 1/2 foot enclosure with about an inch of bad substrate, fed bad food, and with WAY too high of a water dish. This adds up to parasites and possible further problems down the road. It may cost more for a captive bred up front, but the price is worth it in the long run.:)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
2nd-hand Craigslist tortoises are AWESOME, that's how I found a few of mine. :) Our area usually has several Russian torts in the "pets" portion (top left, in the "community" column), and then a few mis-categorized ones in farm and garden for sale items. I wish I could take them all... but I only have room for females now, cuz my male is a bully...

Buying at Petsmart is NOT the way to go, because whatever animal you "rescue" from there, just gets re-ordered. That creates a demand, so they provide the supply.

Also, if there is a reptile rescue society in your general area, you might contact them and put the word out that you are looking for a Russian tortoise. Especially a few months after Christmas, a lot of folks relinquish their pets, when they get bored with them...

Good luck!

TortoiseBoy1999 said:

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Mercedes, WELCOME TO TFO! And for all of the reasons above please help us to starve pet stores of Russian tort business. It is so valuable to the long term well being of the species. Craigslist is always a great resource and i have recommended here countless times. In fact I rescued a horribly ill Russian girl today that was posted on craigslist, and I'm picking up a rescue boy tomorrow that was left behind at a high school when the teacher was fired. . They are truly viewed as disposable pets, which is a darn tootin' shame.

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
I got my russian by puting a "WANTED" ad on the pets section. With in 3 days I had a new tort. I putif any one has a tort that they dont have time for I would give it a loving home. And it worked. The people were re homing it because they got a dog. So I lucked out. Give it a try see what happens. You might be supprised!

ottosmom18

5 Year Member
Makir said:
Hi everyone, I'm Mercedes. I have been wanting to get a Russian tort for a few months now. I have been researching them and their care before actually getting one. I have read a lot about not getting torts from pet stores, for they are not well cared for. I just feel like if I get a tort from Pet smart maybe I'm saving its life? Or giving it the home it deserves? Am I wrong to think so?

I got my tortoise from Petsmart, and it was the best thing I ever did. He was very sick, with five, yes, FIVE different types of parasites. If you catch it early, and take him back to the store within two weeks, they give you a refund and take them to a vet. When they're done with treatment they come home. So, in conclusion, Petsmart is great if you want to save an animal from cruelty.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I would not have a problem buying a Russian Tortoise from Petco if I wanted a Russian Tortoise. I was told that they are captive breed and that they move them quickly (only in a small tank for a small period of time). So maybe you can try Petco instead of Petsmart.
~C

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I bet most russians off craigs list, were once from Petco..
so if you find one.. look it over.. and be prepared to add a vet visit to the purchase price.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
Makir said:

I understand exactly how u feel. I got mine at petsmart almost two years ago. U just have to be smart about it, look for signs of sickness like cloudy eyes, runny nose, issues with shell and it's helpful if they r not too shy to begin with. My baby is so loveable and social.good luck

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Definitely monitor Craigslist. There is a good chance with any tort (CL or Pet store) that you will need to take them to a vet, so factor that in either way.
Laura is right, many CL torts have come from big box pet stores. However, they also have often become more familiar with humans, whereas big box pet store torts are probably more recently wild caught or 'farm raised' (still wild caught). So that is one advantage.
Give it a certain amount of time. 3 months? 6 months? If you can't find one on CL, or on the for sale section of this forum, then get one from wherever you want.
Sounds like you are ready!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I didn't read all these posts as I really hate to read. Yes, they will prolly get another, but at least u could save this 1. Even if I buy a tort from a respected breeder, a vet visit is one of the 1st things I do no matter what. Its not cheap, but piece of mind to me is price-less. Keep us updated on whatever u decide to do, and good luck to you!
Chris

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
ethereal1 said:
I actually yelled at some PetSmart employees, I got my Thor from there and they had him, like you said, in a 1.5ftsq aquarium and were feeding him a dried mix with all kinds of wrong foods, so I bought him and after getting him all set up I went there again a little afterwards and told them what they were doing wrong in a very loud way hehe. I went there today to get some supplies for my new one who I adopted from the SPCA and I noticed the russian they have now is in an aquarium that isnt ideal, but is very much bigger, he has fresh greens and a soaking pond for himself as well as several microclimates.

Honestly, I think everyone should be telling these pet stores what they are doing wrong so just maybe we can change it. Technically what they do is illegal when shipping, and I try as hard as I can to save torts from anywhere and everywhere, including pet stores. I do not shy away from pet store torts, thats essentially condemning them to a tough life (like it hasnt been tough already), bad diets, and quite possibly even death.

Very well done IMO. I did the same thing at Uncle Bills Pet Center in Indianapolis. I didn't buy the Russian, but I made damn sure to scold the jackass about how cold they were and about the junk they were feeding the girl and boy they had for sale. I figure it can't hurt to bring to thier attention what all they are doing wrong. :)

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
It may cost more for a captive bred up front, but the price is worth it in the long run.
Sheldon was store-bought and his de-wormings cost $160 and the side effects from that medicine another $120 to fix.
DEFINITELY go for captive bred. Unless there's over a $300 difference, you're probably saving money! :p

I'm jealous of whoever said their Petco took care of the vet visits. Mine didn't! :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
SPCA or shelters.. Im my expereince,, dont have a clue how to care for them or what they even are.. they have put russian torts in tanks with water! feed wrong, no heat,, etc.. they just arent set up for such things.. so if you get one froma shelter.. its truley a rescue...\sad but true...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Makir said:

I think getting a tortoise from Petco is a great idea. So many folks think it will stop them from buying more if that tortoise sits there unsold. My thought is, why make that tortoise suffer for the CHANCE they may replace it? For me, it's save or help what you can today, make a difference today. Tomorrow is not a guarantee, it's only a maybe. No matter where you get your tortoise, be it from a breeder, a rescue, a pet store where ever, it may be sick. Yes, even captive breed tortoise get sick and die. I myself can honestly say, I have yet to get an animal from Petco or PetSmart that has been sick.

The main point I want to make is this... every type of place may have sick animals or care for them poorly, but others of the same type may be doing wonderful jobs caring for their animals. Do not fall for thinking all of one type is wrong to get or going to be sicker then the other type. Take each place and each animal on it's on merits.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I was going to vote for you checking CL for a tort...
but I like what jacqui said...
Jacqui said:
I think getting a tortoise from Petco is a great idea. So many folks think it will stop them from buying more if that tortoise sits there unsold. My thought is, why make that tortoise suffer for the CHANCE they may replace it? For me, it's save or help what you can today, make a difference today. Tomorrow is not a guarantee, it's only a maybe. No matter where you get your tortoise, be it from a breeder, a rescue, a pet store where ever, it may be sick. Yes, even captive breed tortoise get sick and die. I myself can honestly say, I have yet to get an animal from Petco or PetSmart that has been sick.

good luck finding your new pet and share it with TFO when you do :)

rosebice

5 Year Member
I already found one on craigs list didn't even think to look there tort and enclosure all for 150 i'm working on maybe going to look at him. However i'd really like to know more info on the actual care and what i need to properly care for one. i'm researching and researching and i'm not finding much on where to place things in teh winter enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.