Russian Still Not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
A few things:

1) Many tortoises take some time to get used to their new surroundings. I another week or so, your new pet may start becoming more active and feeding more regularly.

2) Make sure the environment is right. Ambient temperatures should be in the 70s, with a hot spot temperature from 95-100*F. Also, your tortoise should have a nice, moist (but not wet) substrate, like coco coir, and some shelter where she can bed down and feel comfortable. When animals feel safe, they are more likely to behave naturally.

3) Make sure that the primary food your Russian tortoise gets is leafy greens (lettuce, endive, arugula, etc.). Fruits should only be offered as an occasional treat - no more frequently than once a month. Roots and stems (like broccoli for example), should not form the bulk of their diet, either. Testudo species should be eating mostly leaves.

4) As autumn approaches, and as day length shortens, many Russian tortoises become less active. In the wild, their environment would be very hot, and they would be spending more time in their burrows (aestivating). I've found that from late August through September, my Russians usually stay underground. Then they become active again in October, before bedding down again in November in preparation for brumation (hibernation).

Status
Not open for further replies.