New russian tortoise not eating

Shannon8525

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Im starting to worry my russian has not eaten once for me i have had him for a week now. His enclosure is 85°to 95° during the day and night goes to about 70° i soak him every day to make sure he is hydrated he has not pooped in the last 2 days. I have feed him romaine lettuce, celery leaves, cabbage and even tried a strawberry to see if he would try that and nothing. He isn't even acting interested in his food. He has started to walk around and be more active in his new tank, but I'm just worried about how long he can go without eating.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
is his basking spot 85 degrees? also tortoises take some time to adjust to a new environment

Shannon8525

Maryland
Sorry Yes the basking area 85°-90° is what it reads most of the time no lower than 85°. The cool end is about 70° Im working on his humidity I've got that at about 30% now, ive heard not to go above 60%

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
His basking area needs to be 95-100. They have to be able to raise their body temp to above 85 to digest food. It takes them a while to settle in and be comfortable.

Shannon8525

Maryland
Ok thank you, when should i really worry about him not eating? what else could i do to make his basking area warmer? I have a 150 watts heat light and a mercury tube bulb. Would bringing the heat lamp lower help? Or should i get a additional heat lamp in lower watts to help out?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Ok thank you, when should i really worry about him not eating? what else could i do to make his basking area warmer? I have a 150 watts heat light and a mercury tube bulb. Would bringing the heat lamp lower help? Or should i get a additional heat lamp in lower watts to help out?
Lowering should do the trick.