Russian outdoor pen 1

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Just semi-finished decorating my russian's enclosure. It's 6' x 9'. The area gets a lot of sun so I'm still working to provide more shade for him. He has an underground lair about 2 feet deep in the ground (unseen in the pic) where he sleeps. Lots of water dishes, some weeds (he ate all the plantain I put in there) and other plants (hibiscus, thyme, rosemary, & geranium). I am hoping the thyme spreads fast to cover the ground on the far right. Also the rosemary to provide more shade. The plants are all still small so I had to barricade them or he'll devour them all.

I planted grass seed all over the part with no rocks. They are starting to grow. I planted some russian tort seed mix in the empty barricaded area to the lower left.

He likes to hide in the semi- buried pot when it's hot. I sometimes put his food in there.

That other pen is where I grow russian tort seed mix. I let him graze there or sometimes pick some and put in his pen. I started that batch a few months ago.

The elephant bush has been in there since last year. Hardy little plant!

Aaannndd... The star of the show... Jack Bauer! You don't wanna mess with him!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Do you have a cover for all of his enclosure? Asking because I see lots of places for a Russian to make his escape. Otherwise, it's looking good. (of course, I have my fears when I see small white rocks in a tortoise enclosure, but hopefully he ignores those.)

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
He's been living there since last year so I think it's pretty escape-proof. Believe me, I've seen him try on many occasions lol. I am still thinking of installing some inward "lips" along the edges to discourage him. The boards are nailed to the other enclosures so they don't fall off.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
I just installed the lip to discourage any attempts. The white pebbles are pretty big. I've never seen him show any interest.