Outdoor pen indoors help

mikeh

5 Year Member
The idea is just that, 6x3 pen for 5month old leopard in the basement for winter with grazing grass and weeds growing inside it on its own.

Planning on 5" of dirt in the pen and seed the entire space with grazing grass and weeds. Would a 4' 4bulb T5 ho fixture with reflectors and full spectrum bulbs be sufficient to cover most of the area? I could go up to 6 bulb fixture for the space if more light is needed. One of the bulbs will be 12% UVB.

Main concern is that I need to place the fixture about 15" above ground due to UVB. Will this height be ok or is it too high for healthy growth of grass/weeds?

This is a lot of light, will this bother the tort? There will be hiding places and taller plants for shade.

Any insight on this project is appreciated.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Giving this a bump for you. Pen sounds like a great place for your tort. Hope you get some answers to your questions

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It should work fine either way. I grew weeds/grass in my leopards indoor enclosure and the only light was a mvb and a regular lamp bulb and I only used coconut coir as a substrate.