Russian mating question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starjelly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern ca. J
hey i have a 10 yr old male russian :tort: and i want to get a female. how often will they mate and is their a way to prevent them from mating,besides seperating them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Starjelly:

(I know you're Franeich's nephew, but did you ever tell us your name?)

If you put a male and female Russian tortoise together, the male will bother her all the time. Male Russians have one thing on their mind. It would probably drive you crazy. So you'd have to separate them to give her some peace.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
You would need to separate them, mating is very noisy and annoying, not to mention stressful for the female..

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
It seems like people recommend keeping at least 3 females with 1 male (someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the more females you have the better but you will still need a lot of space for all those russians. And of course females are always harder to come by than males in the pet trade. And don't forget the space needed.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
It will distract the male from constantly chasing one female. spreads his amorous attentions around.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
more than likely, I have 1 male 1 female and 1 juvenile , and when the female is in with the male he just chases her and chases her and chases her, and they are in a big outdoor enclosure.

franeich

5 Year Member
Sounds like if you do get a female she will need her own enclosure at least most of the time. maybe do a 2 section table with a door you can open to let them play ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.