Russian keeping eyes closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
It might be that the analog thermometers just are not that reliable.
You can get a digital thermometer with a probe like the ones Spn has links to. Then you can move the probe around to various locations in the enclosure.
You may also be able to find them at places like Walmart. They are also on Amazon for <$10.
Infared thermometers are a bit more expensive, $20-25.

For now since your tortoise is behaving more normally with eyes open, with the bulb up higher, keep it that way. (it is 150w, so in an enclosure like yours, it might be necessary to have it 14-18" from the tortoise shell).

When you get your new thermometer, check temps and then fine tune them. Your lighting sounds OK, overall, so it might be temps/distance.
As mentioned, keep the substrate moist. It isn't enough to just spray it, also mix water in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just kind of skimmed the replies to your question about raising the temp under the basking light, so forgive me if someone has already said this. Lower the light. You can raise and lower the fixture until you reach the temp you're looking for.

7oasty23

5 Year Member

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
No, not even a temp gun is that expensive usually. But Pet Stores will be more expensive than the ones I showed you.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Spn785 said:
No, not even a temp gun is that expensive usually. But Pet Stores will be more expensive than the ones I showed you.

They're doing 25% off for everybody, and 35% off for residents (I live in pigeon forge), so hopefully no more than 20.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
Get a lower wattage of bulb and move that lower? It won't be as bright, so won't hurt his eyes, but will still give off the heat. I am using an 80w MVB.

Status
Not open for further replies.