Russian health

Status
Not open for further replies.

princess.tort

5 Year Member
Hi all! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I've had my tort since May and just want to get your opinions on how normal she is really...

She is 3 inches long
2 inches tall
And weighs 4 oz

Is this normal? I'm not sure how old she is! I have attached some pics!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377869861.092734.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1377869877.400494.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I think your substrate is not able to hold enough moisture for a young Russian.

Many of the keepers advise using a humid hide or a enclosed humid tort table to aid in smooth healthy growth.

Do you have a humidity reading for your enclosure?

You may wish to try a substrate of clean plain top soil or coco coir or a mix of the two.

Are you soaking your tort in warm water at least twice a week?

Good luck. You will get good information from some of the care sheets for Russians. Search key words lighting, Russians, temperature, humidity, and substrate.

princess.tort

5 Year Member
Thanks!

Yeh she has been having some eye problems lately too, rubbing then quite often and sometimes I see her and they are shut! Like the pic below! :(

Is that due to substrate being too dry and humidity not being as high as it should be?

I do bathe her at least twice a week!

Thanks again
Sarah

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1377936487.176380.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1377936487.176380.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 52

skmackley2

5 Year Member
Princess.tort . Oh my what a coincidence, I had my tortoise since may 3 inches long by 2 inch tall, same substrate, and same eye problem? Mine keeps rubbing and closing her eyes, but today The eye in water and the thing cam out after she went back in the table , like a little white goo?

princess.tort

5 Year Member
Wow that's a coincidence!

There doesn't seem to be anything in her eyes, just look sore and she is always rubbing them!

It must be the substrate! In thinking of putting some plain top soil on top of all that, what do you think?

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
pyramiding has started, youre going to want to soak more often, change the substrate to something that retains moisture better, and cover the enclosure most of the way, not completely shut.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

skmackley2

5 Year Member
I suggest coco coir or plain substrate nice and deep nice and damp yeah

nate.mann said:
pyramiding has started, youre going to want to soak more often, change the substrate to something that retains moisture better, and cover the enclosure most of the way, not completely shut.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

It doesn't look pyramided it looks like a normal raised healthy shell?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I do see signs of pyramiding. A more moist environment will help off set the less than smooth growth.

What type of pellets am I seeing in the picture?

Coco coir is a good substrate because it will hold moisture without becoming moldy.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
She'll be fine as long as you can tweak her enclosure.

You can use ACE hardware topsoil (no manure or additives), combined with Coir. Or Coir alone.
Change the substrate as soon as you can; the topsoil would be an easy quick fix.
If you add water and mix weekly, to keep the underlayers moist, that should keep the humidity high enough for a Russian.

Good you are soaking her 2x per week. Why don't you increase to daily for a week or so to give her a boost? That will help her eyes too, if it is due to dryness.

What kind of light bulb do you have?

princess.tort

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice!

Is the attached picture the correct coco coir?

I will bath her everyday to get her health up too [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

ImageUploadedByTortForum1378143111.435378.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.