Russian Has Nasal Congestion

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
My adult Russian male has recently been having what looks like some nasal congestion issues. His left nostril is slightly smaller, and he has kind of snorted out some mucus then inhaled it back into his nose. It didn't look like a lot of mucus. He also kind of paws his front arm over the left side of his face, like he's scratching at something there. At first I thought he might have something in his eye, but his eye looks fine (and then I noticed his nostril and the "snorting"). He's been doing this maybe once every day for maybe a week or so now.

He doesn't seem to be too bothered by this. He has a good appetite and about the same amount of energy as usual. His eyes look bright and he's active, alert, and pooping regularly. I've given him some soaks. He has been spending more time basking but is still getting some walks in. It is still colder here for early spring, as usual, but Steve is inside 24/7. I am waiting for a new bulb to arrive from Amazon so he can go back to his standard two heat lamps. We're planning to build him a more permanent lamp setup. We recently moved to a new house, which may have caused him some stress and confusion, but we were able to move while he was in hibernation for the winter (although I'm sure waking up in an entirely new place was a bit overwhelming). He has the same tortoise table with all of his rocks and hides, so his "bedroom" should at least look and smell more familiar to him. We have been a bit busy in tending to our new house but I don't want to overlook Steve's health if there's a possibility that it's serious.

Steve is usually in very good health to the best of my knowledge, so this is a bit new to me. Does this sound like an RI? Does it sound serious? Does he need to go to the vet for antibiotics? Thank you in advance for your help!

L

LasTortugasNinja

check the humidity of the room. most respiratory issues are too little humidity (90% of the time) or too much. With proper or slightly elevated humidity, most RI will clear up by themselves pretty quickly.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
What are ur temps in the enclosure? Humidity with temps under 80 can cause RI. Put ur temps up to 85 in the entire enclosure day and night and should help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can flush the nasal cavities with sterile saline. Buy it at the pharmacy in the contact lens department. With a squeeze squirt bottle, firmly squirt the saline in the nostril. Don't worry about it going into the lungs because the nostrils go into the roof of the mouth, not down the throat.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
What are ur temps in the enclosure? Humidity with temps under 80 can cause RI. Put ur temps up to 85 in the entire enclosure day and night and should help
Temps are around 80°F. I should be able to warm it up more when the other bulb arrives from Amazon.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
You can flush the nasal cavities with sterile saline. Buy it at the pharmacy in the contact lens department. With a squeeze squirt bottle, firmly squirt the saline in the nostril. Don't worry about it going into the lungs because the nostrils go into the roof of the mouth, not down the throat.
Thanks, I will pick up some of sterile saline. That sounds like it could do the trick.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Steve seemed very confused by the saline. I'll wait till tomorrow to see if he needs more or if it looks better.

L

LasTortugasNinja

That's the sad part of ill pets. There is no way to explain to them that you are trying to make them feel better.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
That's the sad part of ill pets. There is no way to explain to them that you are trying to make them feel better.
Very true. Luckily he looks alert and doesn't seem to have any problems breathing or smelling. We gave his nose another little saline squirt today. I didn't see him snort but I haven't been watching him as closely today.