Russain Tortoise Lighting

The other day my bulb and fixture came in that I ordered and I officially have everything I need before I can get him!! I had a few questions about lighting, I know it depends on the bulb but what do you think a safe distance is to keep it above his enclosure (I've attached a picture) and also will this be good for him? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406665659.247213.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I wouldn't use a MVB in a deep dome. They can retain too much heat and burn your bulb out. The best one are the 11" aluminum domes with a heavy duty cord at Home Depot for $12.

Only your thermometer and UV light meter can tell you what distance your fixture and bulb should hang at. I would start with whatever the manufacturer recommends, check your temps and UV levels, and make adjustments if needed.

josh shultis

ontario, canada
Id start around 12" an check the temp there but you might have to go a bit higher with that bulb, best thing to get is a digital thermonitor, you can get them pretty cheap(20$) online or at the pet shop, the lazer kind is the best and most accurate, point an shoot

josh shultis

ontario, canada
About those uv meters tom, I got a 30 dollar one an it seems to work great, I'm getting a reading of around 3.0 under my repti sun 10.0 an 2.3 under the repti sun 5.0, I know it's not going to be as accurate as the expensive ones but do you think I can trust the reading? Sorry for jacking your thread buddy!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
About those uv meters tom, I got a 30 dollar one an it seems to work great, I'm getting a reading of around 3.0 under my repti sun 10.0 an 2.3 under the repti sun 5.0, I know it's not going to be as accurate as the expensive ones but do you think I can trust the reading? Sorry for jacking your thread buddy!
I have no way of knowing whether yours is accurate or reliable at all, but when they normally cost $250 and you got yours for $30, I'm not sure I would trust it if I was reliant on good indoor UV for many months per year.

What wavelength is yours measuring, and is it a "light" meter or a "UV index" meter? The more expensive meters measure the actual UVB wavelengths that our tortoises use to convert D2 into D3.

mikeh

5 Year Member
These inexpensive recreational outdoor UV meters are not intended for measuring artificial UVB light levels. I believe it even says so under specifications.

josh shultis

ontario, canada
These inexpensive recreational outdoor UV meters are not intended for measuring artificial UVB light levels. I believe it even says so under specifications.

Here's the instructions I'm
Pretty sure it works fine for this purpose.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406672205.744892.jpg

josh shultis

ontario, canada
I have no way of knowing whether yours is accurate or reliable at all, but when they normally cost $250 and you got yours for $30, I'm not sure I would trust it if I was reliant on good indoor UV for many months per year.

What wavelength is yours measuring, and is it a "light" meter or a "UV index" meter? The more expensive meters measure the actual UVB wavelengths that our tortoises use to convert D2 into D3.

Here's instructions tom! I've tested it out in the sun and under different uvb Lamps I'm pretty sure it's good! Sometimes the cheapys work just as good I might have got lucky ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406672388.743238.jpg

mikeh

5 Year Member
That is seller written, not manufacturer specifications and purpose of use. I have looked at few of these meters and all of them said not intended for measuring articifial UVB lights.

Just giving you facts.

josh shultis

ontario, canada
Ok thanks! I got a reading of 5 outside on a sunny day last week, 3 under my repti sun 10.0 an 2.3 under the 5.0 which sounds about what it should be from the research I've done so I think it's good, might not be accurate till the decimal but I bet it's good enough to tell me when I need to buy a new light :)!!

Okay! :) I'll get a new fixture as soon as I can id rather pay the extra for a new fixture rather than such an expensive bulb so often. Thanks for the help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok thanks! I got a reading of 5 outside on a sunny day last week, 3 under my repti sun 10.0 an 2.3 under the 5.0 which sounds about what it should be from the research I've done so I think it's good, might not be accurate till the decimal but I bet it's good enough to tell me when I need to buy a new light :)!!

I'm just curious and would like to compare readings on your unit vs. mine. Obviously we are at different latitudes, so outside comparisons will have limited value, but I get 7.2-7.3 outdoors in full mid day summer sun. Indoors I get 1.2 off of brand new 24" 10.0 tubes at a distance of about 10-11" from the sensor. What distance was your sensor from your bulb when you got a reading of 3.0, and what length tube is it?

josh shultis

ontario, canada
I'm just curious and would like to compare readings on your unit vs. mine. Obviously we are at different latitudes, so outside comparisons will have limited value, but I get 7.2-7.3 outdoors in full mid day summer sun. Indoors I get 1.2 off of brand new 24" 10.0 tubes at a distance of about 10-11" from the sensor. What distance was your sensor from your bulb when you got a reading of 3.0, and what length tube is it?

Ya id be really interested to! It's a 36" repti sun 10.0 t5 at 12" off the table! But I measure from the back of my tort so about 9" from the light is where I took the reading. And i just checked again I'm getting 2.8 to be exact not 3.0

josh shultis

ontario, canada
Oh an my bulb is new to,
Well a few weeks old. I'll have to check again outside tomorrow because I definitely wasn't getting 7 it was around 5.0! Where abouts are Tom I'm in ontario canada. But ya for 30 bucks I figured id give it a try even if it doesn't work not a huge loss. I was planning on getting the good one soon but maybe if our readings are close I won't have to! I appreciate you taking the time To compare thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It seems like your readings are fairly close to mine. Your unit must be better/different than other things I have seen for sale here.

I am in Southern CA in Los Angeles County. Much closer to the equator than you.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Is a Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 160 Watts a good light for my Russian Tortoise?

josh shultis

ontario, canada
Is a Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 160 Watts a good light for my Russian Tortoise?

Yep! Depending on how high you want the bulb even the 100 or 120w would be good enough. If you have to have the light high up then go for 160 but you can always get the 100 an adjust height to get right temp/uvb