Runny poop

elizabethernst

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas City
Hello, all! I’m a very new tortoise owner. I adopted a Greek tortoise from a rescue about a month and a half ago. He had been there awhile and was very healthy when I received him. He had a low protein/high fiber diet with the previous caretaker. I was told this consisted of store bought greens, carrots, the occasional tortoise pellet food. When I received him I went straight to the Tortoise Table website and found lots of safe green, weeds, flowers that I have readily available already. I have tried to give him a wide variety of foods daily to choose from, and I’ve included some things like store bought turnip greens as a more familiar food in his diet. I’m now beginning to worry that I’ve drastically changed his diet too much. He has had very loose stool this week and last. His enclose is outside, weather permitting, and indoors at night. I soak him once or twice a week depending on the heat. Should I go back to a more limited diet for the time being?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, do you have a idea of the weight or age. Pics would be great, top, bottom and face on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, all! I’m a very new tortoise owner. I adopted a Greek tortoise from a rescue about a month and a half ago. He had been there awhile and was very healthy when I received him. He had a low protein/high fiber diet with the previous caretaker. I was told this consisted of store bought greens, carrots, the occasional tortoise pellet food. When I received him I went straight to the Tortoise Table website and found lots of safe green, weeds, flowers that I have readily available already. I have tried to give him a wide variety of foods daily to choose from, and I’ve included some things like store bought turnip greens as a more familiar food in his diet. I’m now beginning to worry that I’ve drastically changed his diet too much. He has had very loose stool this week and last. His enclose is outside, weather permitting, and indoors at night. I soak him once or twice a week depending on the heat. Should I go back to a more limited diet for the time being?
Sounds like the diet you are feeding is fine. You could try adding more fiber in one of several ways.

Check this out:

elizabethernst

Kansas City
Here are some photos of him. He is very active! The picture of his poop is poop, I accidentally ran it over while mowing.

Attachments

• BC8F30F1-5201-473E-98B1-43D10EF0A2B2.jpeg
    BC8F30F1-5201-473E-98B1-43D10EF0A2B2.jpeg
    950.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 97934B1F-4092-46A1-AE38-E4C2CC875C62.jpeg
    97934B1F-4092-46A1-AE38-E4C2CC875C62.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • B39A4FAC-CC9E-4092-9704-FFCCD1540F99.jpeg
    B39A4FAC-CC9E-4092-9704-FFCCD1540F99.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14

elizabethernst

Kansas City
Sounds like the diet you are feeding is fine. You could try adding more fiber in one of several ways.

Check this out:
Thank you!

elizabethernst

Kansas City

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Take Tom's advice and if he doesn't change eating or activitie habits. You might also soak a little more often to help not getting dehydrate. If it doesn't change it might be time to take him to a vet that knows tortoises with a fresh stool sample. Dont let the vet give him any shots. If it's a parasite it can be cured with medicine orally.