Hi, new and would be grateful for some guidance

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England

Kelly.324

Durham UK
I wrote this about keeping a tortoise outside in the UK which you may find useful
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

What does your tort weigh? It may be a bit small for long periods outside just yet

That’s a great article thanks, I wasn’t planning on putting him outside fully, I just meant like a few hours each day/maybe some full days in the summer weather permitting but I’d always bring him inside in the evening.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

No advice on pinworms but I will add another comment on the floor roaming issue.

Your Russian is highly territorial and likely seems your foot as some kind of intruder or perhaps a predator (you're much bigger than he is!). You're not an obstacle course, exactly; you're a stressor.

No worries now, since you won't be letting him roam in future; it's just that many new owners have no idea how territorial tortoises are.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Thank you so much for everyone’s advice, I’m taking it all on board but just feeling like I’m failing my tortoise a little bit, I knew I was not really prepared when I got him but I couldn’t bring myself to leave him with his original family who in turns over handled him (they used to take him to a nursery as the class pet and let him roam around the floor all day with the toddlers) or ignored him.
I’m planning on getting his enclosure and lighting sorted ASAP as well as the worms (which I’m fretting about constantly), so anymore pointers on that are so so appreciated. Thanks again, and sorry if I ask silly/obvious questions.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you so much for everyone’s advice, I’m taking it all on board but just feeling like I’m failing my tortoise a little bit, I knew I was not really prepared when I got him but I couldn’t bring myself to leave him with his original family who in turns over handled him (they used to take him to a nursery as the class pet and let him roam around the floor all day with the toddlers) or ignored him.
I’m planning on getting his enclosure and lighting sorted ASAP as well as the worms (which I’m fretting about constantly), so anymore pointers on that are so so appreciated. Thanks again, and sorry if I ask silly/obvious questions.
Carry on asking. The reason this forum exists is to help people learn :)

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Carry on asking. The reason this forum exists is to help people learn :)

Thank you :)

One last question, can I overfeed him?
He eats just about anything and everything put in front of him and seems to be hungry all the time. I think I have been feeding too much recently, just to make sure he’s getting enough in his system what with the worm treatment still going on.

But yeah, how much and how often should I feed him? Is enough to cover the shell everyday the right amount and even if he seems hungry should I stay strong and not give him anymore?

Thanks again :)

daniellenc

Maryland
Feed away most torts eat a pile of food the size of them and it’s fine.