RT vomit and diarrhea

Lies

Location (City and/or State)
TILBURG
Hi All,

My RT started vomitting yesterday and she has also diarrhea. I went to the vet, the poop was checked but there was nothing there that indicate she has something going on beside a normal amount of parasites.
She gave hee something to kill them and if she has other bacterias also.

We arrive home and my RT is 'gagging' and after this she is not moving anymore. She peed allover and made the poop. Does someone know how I can help her somehow?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20240516_141311.jpg
    20240516_141311.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I would recommend you give your tortoise a soak in warm water every day while he is sick to avoid dehydration as he is losing fluids from his body. Is he eating fine? Does he respond if you touch his feet?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, with soaking him. Try to look in his throat, is there Anything stuck in there? Did the vet look in his throat?
What are the temps in his enclosure? All over and basking?
How big is the enclosure?

Lies

TILBURG
Hi, the vet checked in her throat. There was nothing. But she is not moving anymore. I think she is already dead 😭

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Could it have gotten into something toxic? like a plant with pesticide?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Sick tortoises may seem dead even though they aren't. Some say to wait for 48 hours, unless there are clear signs of death.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Consult a veterinarian, he will definitely help you
That's exactly what was done and in this case, it seems to me that the whole situation got much worse AFTER the "vet" episode. What exactly did that vet give the tortoise on the first visit? "he gave her something to kill them and after...to kill other bacterias too..."! That "treatment" by the vet may have been the cause of death. Been there done that. I am very sorry.

Last edited: