Parasites in RT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNightListener

5 Year Member
Hi everybody

I have a female adult RT, got her about 1,5 months ago. She was doing well when she arrived (I adopted her), always ate a lot and pooped and peed very well. But last time I started noticing that she doesn't eat that much anymore, she became very active and tries to climb out of her box all the time(which is actually annoying, coz she is quite noise when she does this). Her poos are not hard since quite a while, but since everything else was ok, I didn't pay much attention to it. Unfortunately, don't know how is goes with her peeing, but I don't see much of urates in her bedding last time; I soak her at least two-three times a week, she has water all the time(which she doesn't usually pay much attention too). Her substrate is dry though, but I'm afraid of shell rot, so I don't know if I should dampen it. Anyway, since she started eating worse and her poos are more on the liquid side, and she is very anxious, I was suspecting that she's got some parasites. Does anybody have any ideas about what it could be?

Thank you:shy:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi TheNightListener:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

First of all, you don't need a moist substrate for an adult Russian tortoise.

Secondly, it sounds more to me as if she wants out to go find a decent place to dig a nest hole.

But if you're worried about parasites, you can take a fresh stool sample to any vet and they can look at it under the microscope for you. Doesn't have to be a tortoise vet. And its usually not costly.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. What are your four temps? Cool side, warm side, basking spot, and night?

Status
Not open for further replies.