RT doesn't poop much

tortoishell

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, USA
My russian tortoise seems very healthy so much-- he eats, crawls around, gets soaking every week or two (he doesn't really like water. At all.) However, he doesn't really poop or pee unless I soak him.
Is this normal? I think it might have something to do with moisture. Someone here said something like the water in their intestines are cycled through multiple times, and that's why they leave urates. Is this the case with poop?
Sorry for all the questions!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Let's start with urate. Urate is how a tort excretes excess proteins. If a tort is dehydrated the urates become gritty. A well hydrated tort will pass urate that is jelly-like mucus.

Whatever else you have been told about urate is not correct.

As for only pooping and peeing when soaked, that is very common. If you're only soaking once a week then your tort not pooping or peeing is probably a sign of dehydration and you should soak more frequently. If you're soaking upwards of three times a week then I would not be concerned.

What is your tort eating? What goes in has to come out. If the fiber content is low then your tort could become constipated. That's fixed by mkre leafy green weeds, less lettuce and daily soaks.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
Thank you! He hasn't left urates for a while (mostly liquid pee), and he pooped a huge turd today when I soaked him.
I thought fiber would make him constipated? I can definitely vary his diet but so far he gets mainly lettuce, almost as much cabbage, some squash (he loves it) and fruit occasionally. What do you suggest?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
If he's not pooping, you could feed some canned pumpkin on occasion (smeared on his food) and some chopped up aloe plant usually keeps them pretty consistent. I soak my tort every other day just to make sure she never gets constipated. Only takes about fifteen minutes before she poops now that she's used to it.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
I have access to an aloe (I have it as a houseplant), and how do you suggest I prepare it? Should i just cut some up?
Halloween is approaching, so pumpkins aren't hard to come by now. Is there a problem with buying fresh ones and then boiling them (as i do with squash)?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Soaks in warm water would help in such cases.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you! He hasn't left urates for a while (mostly liquid pee), and he pooped a huge turd today when I soaked him.
I thought fiber would make him constipated? I can definitely vary his diet but so far he gets mainly lettuce, almost as much cabbage, some squash (he loves it) and fruit occasionally. What do you suggest?
Fiber is what pulls poop through the gut and helps form a firm stool (just like it does in humans)

However, your tortoise must be well hydrated as well for the gut to work effectively.

Both you and your tort benefit from a high fiber diet and drinking lots of water. :)

The diet is not adequate.

Lettuce and cabbage do not provide enough nutrients between them. Cabbage should be fed in moderation. Your tort is getting it too often.

Fruit is high in sugars which cause digestive and kidney problems. Along with tomato, bell pepper and carrot it should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally. Banana is too sugary and must not be fed at all. Sweet stuff generally does not need to be fed at all and, personally, I don't. You look forward to treats. Your tort couldn't care less.

Your tort is a herbivore with a diet of leafy greens. I'll post a list next of suggested leafy greens that are good for your tort to eat.

I recommend that you write a list of all the greens that grow around you and those that you can buy and check on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

TTT has an android app and a pdf booklet for plant IDs too :)

In the winter months when greens are harder to come by, some people supplement with a pellet food like Mazuri or Komodo

Your tort should also have a tiny pinch of calcium powder sprinkled on food three times a week.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a list of suitable greens

Look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database if you're not sure what they look like.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

GingerLove

5 Year Member
For aloe, I just chop off the spikes and then give one or two strands (not super thick ones). I've tried to feed my tortoise real pumpkin, but she won't eat it. It's wroth a try, though! It should do the same thing. Good luck!

tortoishell

Washington, USA
Thanks for all your replies! I did feel like his diet was a bit limited (the pet store said he would survive on solely lettuce and fruit, but I now know that it wrong :) ). He is going into hibernation soon and has already started his fasting period.
Do you think I could grow those herbs in my garden? I believe I live in Zone 9.
What about greens from a grocery store such as arugula, collard greens, kale, broccoli, etc?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks for all your replies! I did feel like his diet was a bit limited (the pet store said he would survive on solely lettuce and fruit, but I now know that it wrong :) ). He is going into hibernation soon and has already started his fasting period.
Do you think I could grow those herbs in my garden? I believe I live in Zone 9.
What about greens from a grocery store such as arugula, collard greens, kale, broccoli, etc?
Arugula - feed in moderation
Collards - feed in moderation
Kale - feed in moderation
Broccoli - do not feed

This is because of the high level of goitrogens in the brassicas

Please look these things up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database that I mentioned earlier. They're all there and TTT explains why it makes the recommendations it does.

Here's the link again