Rose of Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I saw someone say that they feed there sulcata rose of sharon, but haven't seen this on any list saying that it is or isn't safe to feed. If it is safe is it both the leaves and flower? I have a lot of this in my yard, so if this is a good food source even as just a treat it would be great.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
To my knowledge, Rose of Sharon[Hibiscus Syriacus] is a perfectly safe flower and leaf to feed.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Annieski said:
To my knowledge, Rose of Sharon[Hibiscus Syriacus] is a perfectly safe flower and leaf to feed.

Thank you. I guess I should have looked up it's Latin name. Feeling pretty dumb. :rolleyes:

Neil

5 Year Member
I guess Rose of sharon is absolutely fine for the tortoise..

More over i got a few question too .. :) .. I have told that Basil, mint and Touch-Me-Not Plants are safe for tortoise to eat .. is it true ?? :)

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Well I guess I don't have to worry if it's safe or not for my tort as he/she won't touch either the flower or the leaves. He/she seems to be a bit picky. :(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
froghaven5 said:
Well I guess I don't have to worry if it's safe or not for my tort as he/she won't touch either the flower or the leaves. He/she seems to be a bit picky. :(

Sometimes, it is just a matter of offering it several times and/or to just slowly introduce it a little at a time mixed in with their normal foods. I know it use to frustrate me that it seemed everybody else could get their tortoises to eat (and love) grape leaves, while mine all turned up their noses. Today, that isn't true at my house. Almost everybody now eats and seems to enjoy their grape leaves.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Jacqui said:
froghaven5 said:

Sometimes, it is just a matter of offering it several times and/or to just slowly introduce it a little at a time mixed in with their normal foods. I know it use to frustrate me that it seemed everybody else could get their tortoises to eat (and love) grape leaves, while mine all turned up their noses. Today, that isn't true at my house. Almost everybody now eats and seems to enjoy their grape leaves.

That's good to know. I'll keep trying then. He/she also doesn't seem to like the purple/red leaves in the spring mix. But give him spinach or dandelion, things he shouldn't have too much of and he goes nuts. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.