Roger is depressed, temp/light/humidity issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailerprincess13

5 Year Member
Ok, so we got Roger into ANOTHER temporary enclosure. This one is much bigger than the last. It is about 4'x4'. Since we've put her in there, and with the old enclosure as well, she seems depressed. She's eating fine and I catch her in the water once in a while but she just seems lethargic. Occasionally she will walk around the cage with her eyes closed. She doesn't seem to move much during the day or night and when she does, she climbs on top of her plants in an attempt to escape. She has 12+ hours of light, have a double lamp with a heat bulb and a UVB bulb. As you can see in the picture, most of the cage is dark. She eats kale, collard greens, parsley and turnip greens most of the time. I don't know the temps in the cage which may be part of the issue. I soak her once a week and I don't mist the cage at all. She doesn't seem sick, her eyes are bright and clear, no discharge from her eyes or nose. Any ideas on how I can make her happier? The first picture is the new cage, for size comparison,she is in the Bottom left corner and is 7". The other pic is comparing her old enclosures size to the new one.

Attachments

• image-3093038396.png
    image-3093038396.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
  • image-2953838214.png
    image-2953838214.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 102

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
trailerprincess13 said:
I don't know the temps in the cage which may be part of the issue.

Any ideas on how I can make her happier?

My idea is to encourage you to definitely know your temperatures. Always know your temps.

These numbers could be your answer.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
trailerprincess13 said:
Ok, so we got Roger into ANOTHER temporary enclosure. This one is much bigger than the last. It is about 4'x4'. Since we've put her in there, and with the old enclosure as well, she seems depressed. She's eating fine and I catch her in the water once in a while but she just seems lethargic. Occasionally she will walk around the cage with her eyes closed. She doesn't seem to move much during the day or night and when she does, she climbs on top of her plants in an attempt to escape. She has 12+ hours of light, have a double lamp with a heat bulb and a UVB bulb. As you can see in the picture, most of the cage is dark. She eats kale, collard greens, parsley and turnip greens most of the time. I don't know the temps in the cage which may be part of the issue. I soak her once a week and I don't mist the cage at all. She doesn't seem sick, her eyes are bright and clear, no discharge from her eyes or nose. Any ideas on how I can make her happier? The first picture is the new cage, for size comparison,she is in the Bottom left corner and is 7". The other pic is comparing her old enclosures size to the new one.

I am sorry, I don't know what type of tort you have ....What type of UVB bulb do you have and how old is it? If it is a coil or pig tail type, STOP using they can cause blindness in your tort. Get a MVB- Mercury Vapor Bulb. UVB bulbs need to be replaced every 6 months or so. I had a similar problem with my RF and as soon as I got a new MVB he was a different tort! Also when changing her enclosure, it will take awhile for them to get accustomed to their new place. They maybe uninterested in doing anything, or they may pace and try to get out.

Knowing your Temps and Humidity are very important! I would suggests getting a thermometer and barometer. I am sure the more experienced Tort owners will be along to offer more advise, good luck and keep us updated on Roger!

trailerprincess13

5 Year Member
It is a coil bulb, I've read about MVBs but haven't decided for or against the coils yet. Her behavior isn't because of moving, she was lethargic prior to the move. I'll most likely get on amazon and buy one of the temp guns. Roger is an adult Greek. What kind of humidity should she be living in?

trailerprincess13

5 Year Member
Ok, I have a little more knowledge to pass on. Rogers enclosure is a square and the only lights in there are the basking bulb and the UVB bulb. The basking temp is between 100 and 110. The area outside of the light is about 75 and the furthest reaches of the cage are 69ish. So, I think she needs more heat during the day. I don't know night time temps yet. Any idea on how i can up the daytime temps?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
a new enclosure does make them quiet sometimes.. change or temp and lights do as well. coil bulbs injure thier eyes...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
trailerprincess13 said:
Roger is an adult Greek. What kind of humidity should she be living in?

trailerprincess13 said:
So, I think she needs more heat during the day.
Any idea on how i can up the daytime temps?

I don't know the specs for a Greek. ??sorry??

Now that you have your temperatures you might try and post a question in the thread dedicated to your tortoise type. List your current temps and ask about the temp and humidity ranges there. You'll reach specifically the Greek owners and probably have better/faster luck with fine tuning the reasons behind Roger's behavior.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would change out the coil bulb (you seem hesitant to believe we may know what we are talking about here...? :p) With that size of enclosure I would use either a basking light for the basking spot hot zone and then use another one about the middle of the enclosure to allow the heat to radiate a bit farther out---I also would invest in a long tube uva/uvb light that you can place somewhere between the basking hot spot and the secondary heat lamp ---the goal is to get as much overall light during the day going to stimulate activity in your tort....and just about every species of tort love a nice warm plant canopy to hide under :D

Night temps can be achieved with as simple as a black night heat bulb...this will give your tort that option to warm up if he feels the need....

trailerprincess13

5 Year Member
My hesitant, I've just spent a lot of time lurking in the "debatable" section. I thought about getting a second basking light since the enclosure is so big. We're also going to relocate the whole enclosure to a sunnier, warmer room in the house. I'll look into the strip light, we have one for hubby's turtle. Any advice on humidity/soaking. She's an adult Greek, that's pretty much all I know. Should I soak her more than once a week and do I need to worry about the humidity in her enclosure?

StephanieWrong

5 Year Member
I would highly recommend getting a temperature gun like others have suggested. Making sure the enclosure is warm enough is a big deal- not just in the basking spot but in the ambient temps around it as well. Does he/she have a varied diet? I've seen torts become ''complacent'' and appear lethargic when their diet is the same day in and day out. Try switching up the food- not all at once but start to introduce new foods slowly. I have my greens in a rotation (collards and bok choy one week, mustard and turnip greens the next, parsley throw in on occasion, etc). The new habitat looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.