RNS In baby star tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
I am doing this quarantine for my new female Star for a good 2-3 months at least from the time I get rid of the RNS.

nawalmok

5 Year Member
Gud mornin guys,

after 7 days battle with RNS all my babies are doing a lot better.
1. odette poop & pee like normal after the fifith day. her appetite increase gradually.
her eyes nomore sunken. but she still hv bubbles on her nose & gapping.
2. gloria poop only on the sixth day. never peepin. she ate but not a lot.. her eyes stil
sunken. the most active one.
3. simon stil didn't poop nor pee. ate but very little. i gv him a bit of cucumber to
increase his apetite and it work. the shell still soft. his eyes stil sunken but nt like
the first day. drank a lot when soakin on the fifth day. didn't seem lethargic nomore
but stil sleep a lot. stil gappin & hv little bubbles on his nose.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Glad to hear you're starting to see some progress. It takes a while for the Baytril to start showing its effects, so be sure to complete the treatment. I'm a little worried that they still have bubbly noses and gasping. Keep a close eye on them.

tjm1302

5 Year Member
I have just separated them again... didn't realise it should be for that long. The vet said a week. So how will i know when to put them back together??

S

stells

With Stars you really shouldn't be using Baytril... you should be going for Marbocyl or Synulox...

Many Stars (and Leopards)... have had allergic reactions to Baytril and it definately shouldn't be used on them for any period of time...

Also whilst the antibiotics are being given temps should be kept constant 24/7 (so around 30C at night)... if not the antibiotics don't work as well as they should...

tjm1302

5 Year Member
Help!!!!!!!. I dont know what else to do if i cant use Baytril. I had to jump through hoops and drive 200kms each way to get access to the only vet i could find, and he said he hasn't had much to do with tortoises. This was the only option he gave me.
Sapphire is doing much better after the 8 days on it and the vitamins. THere are no more bubbles at all now.... her eyes are looking great. She is wondering around, pooping, eating and acting almost as normal as Starfire (who is now looking a little indignant at being alone again!!) She just isn't as active as her friend.
How will i know when it is ok to reunite them?????

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I can only tell you what my vet told me about Stars and Baytril. She said they are sensitive to it (she didn't think allergic was exactly a correct term) so the dosing had to modified (as compared to my other tortoises.) She likes to use doxycyline first, but if that doesn't work she will use Baytril. Since Baytril seems to be the only drug available to you, I would stick with it as long as you don't see an adverse reactions. Good luck!

samstar

5 Year Member
I'm happy that my Star is responding very well to Baytrill. Lucky me. Just checked on her and her nose is totally dry or has been totally dry since yesterday.

S

stells

All i can do is give out the info given by many vets on Baytril.... if you want to use it and risk your Star being "sensitive" to it... thats your look out... makes me feel better to know that i have at least mentioned it :D

tjm1302

5 Year Member
Thanks for that. I will be looking into alternatives when i go to Australia for holidays, but unfortunately that isn't till december. Meanwhile I will just continue with it. As for Sapphire... she is doing amazingly. No more runny nose... eating well... walking around... enjoying the head rubs... pooing etc normally. But i will still keep her away from Starfire for a while longer as suggested.

Starry night

5 Year Member
Your vet does not know what he is talking about if he says to put them back together after a week. I would wait for a few months at the most because runny noses are a pain in the butt to get rid of in stars. I'm not any expert at all nor claiming to know much, but I do know that runny noses are hard to get rid of and can kill.

samstar

5 Year Member
Starry night said:
Your vet does not know what he is talking about if he says to put them back together after a week. I would wait for a few months at the most because runny noses are a pain in the butt to get rid of in stars. I'm not any expert at all nor claiming to know much, but I do know that runny noses are hard to get rid of and can kill.

I agree 100%. A few months quarantine is a must.

nawalmok

5 Year Member
guys,

jus wanna let u kno bout my babies condition after die hard battle wirh RNS & soft shell syndrome..

after almost a month, my babies progression is extravaganza.. (ngeeeeeeeee) they ate like a pig nowday. active. nomore sunken eyes. only simon stil show mild sign of RNS. sumtimes his nose bubblin. i still gv him baytril. but only once a day.
they eat twice a day. still soakin averyday for 15-20 min. Only simon's shell is stil very soft. i'm thinkin og dewormin them but my bajet is tight. so i gv them crush pumpkin seed twice oledi.. issit ok to dewormin them like that..
pls advice me

samstar

5 Year Member
nawalmok said:
guys,

jus wanna let u kno bout my babies condition after die hard battle wirh RNS & soft shell syndrome..

after almost a month, my babies progression is extravaganza.. (ngeeeeeeeee) they ate like a pig nowday. active. nomore sunken eyes. only simon stil show mild sign of RNS. sumtimes his nose bubblin. i still gv him baytril. but only once a day.
they eat twice a day. still soakin averyday for 15-20 min. Only simon's shell is stil very soft. i'm thinkin og dewormin them but my bajet is tight. so i gv them crush pumpkin seed twice oledi.. issit ok to dewormin them like that..
pls advice me

pumpkin seeds can help but best to do feces test. also it does not cost much to do feces test so if you want to take care of your stars, do it correctly.

nawalmok

5 Year Member
dear samstar,

i oledi brought them to vet b4 & oledi spend 150 for the bill & only for rns treatment. did the feces test as well. the babies did hv parasite but mild infection. according to the vet. wanna come for dewormin treatment but realli my bajet is very tight. tats y askin for dewormin naturally advice 4rm the pros, but to sed tat i'm nt doin it CORRECTLY is verry ofensive ok. pls don judge ppl like tat..bcos i do correctly care for my babies. thank you very much ya.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We are all doing the best we can. Let's don't point fingers or chastise anyone because they don't do it the way we do it.

I doubt the soft shell has anything to do with parasites, and its not harmful to sprinkle dried, crushed pumpkin seeds over the food.

samstar

5 Year Member
nawalmok said:
dear samstar,

i oledi brought them to vet b4 & oledi spend 150 for the bill & only for rns treatment. did the feces test as well. the babies did hv parasite but mild infection. according to the vet. wanna come for dewormin treatment but realli my bajet is very tight. tats y askin for dewormin naturally advice 4rm the pros, but to sed tat i'm nt doin it CORRECTLY is verry ofensive ok. pls don judge ppl like tat..bcos i do correctly care for my babies. thank you very much ya.

I am not judging you or anyone, I just said to do it correctly, meaning the propoer procedures, amounts, thats all. Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.