RNS In baby star tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

nawalmok

5 Year Member
hi. im new here.
im from malaysia..

recently got 3 babies stars for present.
on the 1st day the star bein fine..
on the 3rd day 2 of them got sick..
went to vet. the vet said they got RNS..
the vet gave antibiotics to put in their water
& hv to soak them for 5 minute period..

im sick worried bout the star condition..

please, please, please help me..

what shud i do to help them

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
What kind of antibiotics did he/she give you? Oral or injectable? What is hv?

Gus

5 Year Member
Sad to hear that hope everything is alright for your star

nawalmok said:
hi. im new here.
im from malaysia..

recently got 3 babies stars for present.
on the 1st day the star bein fine..
on the 3rd day 2 of them got sick..
went to vet. the vet said they got RNS..
the vet gave antibiotics to put in their water
& hv to soak them for 5 minute period..

im sick worried bout the star condition..

please, please, please help me..

what shud i do to help them

tjm1302

5 Year Member
One of my stars got sick..... i have separated her from the other one. Got Baytril.... i give her 2 drops once every day.... and the vet gave some Amino Acid Tonic for her too.... 3 to 5 drops 3 times a day. In only 2 days she is already picking up. Hopefully another 5 days and she will be as active and healthy as her friend.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
My vet prefers to use doxycycline first since they are sensitive to Baytril. Just something to think about ... Make sure you turn up the heat - they need to be kept very warm when they're sick. It encourages their own natural healing processes. Also, keep them well hydrated.

tjm1302

5 Year Member
thanks for that Kimber Lee.... I am trying to get a heat mat at the moment to increase the substrate heat... but so far no luck. Just found one on line... so am about to order that.

nawalmok

5 Year Member
not really kno the names of antibiotic.
its an oral antibiotic. need to mix with lukewarm water
then soak them for 5 minutes

hv = have

tjm1302,

how did u gave them the drops.. shud i go back to the vet again and ask for injectable
antibiotics.

What trigger the flu ya? last 2 days all of them seem very healthy, active, but suddenly my simon & gloria start gapping..
the substrate was 40% humid
the temp was always maintain 30c-32c
the basking area was always 34c

what hv i done wrong.. pls advise

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Aaargh...I wish I could help you, but I know there are some Star keepers on this forum in addition to those that have already offered advice: samstar, milky and gummybearpoop all keep Stars, I think.

Also, here is the forum section where the threads are devoted to Star tortoises:

http://tortoiseforum.org/forum-33-page-1.html

Good luck! I hope you get the help you need soon so your little Simon and Gloria get well fast. Don't forget to separate them from the healthy one, and maybe from each other so the illness doesn't spread or "bounce"!

nawalmok

5 Year Member
mornin,

oledi went to other vet for 2nd opinion. went to Dr. Vellayan.

Dr vel sed all the babies are infected with mild RNS. and develop soft shell especially simon. doc run a test on the babies fecal. all the babies infected with protozoa bacteria & pinworm. n tis is all happen bcos the babies were very very young and fragile.
Dr. vel oso showed us how to practise handling all the medicine for us to gv to the babies.

1. we have to soak them in diluted potassium magnet with tap water
for 20 minutes everyday.
2. then we hv to drop an antibiotics (baytril) on the babies nose.
two drops every each of them, 4 times a day.
3. a drop of vitamin 1 times a day. and carbonate calsium to mix with
their food.
4. after done with the medicine. must put them in standin position to
make sure the med were in. all of tis must been follow for 7 days

so far all the babies responding very slow.. their sleep a lot. don eat as well.. all we can do rite now is praying that the babies will make it eventually.. hope u guys will pray for our little babies

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I'm so glad they are starting to come along. I have had golden greeks with with parasites and for some reason (I don't know why - maybe someone can tell us) this can cause them to have a runny nose. After they are treated the runny nose stops. Be sure to give us an update! :)

Gus

5 Year Member
Glad to hear that their all well........................ I have lost 3 star baby due to RNS

Starry night

5 Year Member
Every star I have ever purchase, except the 3 from Janie, have tested positive for protozoa and amoeba. This seems to be common among stars and is quite a ***** to get rid of. Use flagyl and that has worked for me each time. With the rns you need to have an xray to make sure it's not in the lungs which is then pneumonia. I've used ceftazadime with great results for rns.

nawalmok

5 Year Member
mornin.

after 2 day under antibiotic radar, my babies progressing is still slow.. they ate very little, didn't defecate for 2 days. but not so lethargic nomore. sleep a lot. stil gapping & their nose stil bubbling. but they were a bit active. walking around.. hope the baytril work for them.

guys, is dat normal if they ate very little and they didn't poop at all? shud i give them crush pumpkin seed to combat the worm?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
It takes a few days for the Baytril to work. Keep soaking them every day to keep them hydrated and maybe they will defacate too. Keep them extra warm too. I have treated some with Baytril and Flagyl at the same time, but I think it's hard on them. Let them finish the Baytril and then have your vet check them for parasites. The fact that they're eating is a good sign! :)

tjm1302

5 Year Member
nawalmok said:
Thank you so much kimber lee..
what a relief.....

I have had Sapphire on Baytril and vitamins now for 5 days. She is doing so well. We have mastered the art (mind you with 2 people and four hands) of getting her mouth open to make sure it goes IN. She is eating now and pooing everytime i soak her. I will be rejoining her with Starfire in 2 more days. Her nose doesn't have bubbles any more... She is eating well now. It is fantastic.

I hope yours are doing as well as mine.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I'm so glad to hear it tjm. :) It's so stressful when our little ones are sick!

samstar

5 Year Member
My friends have bought Star tortoises all over Malaysia and I tell you everyone of them are sick. These shops selling them do it purely for profit, they are all useless. Both of my stars were sick and both from Malaysia. my friend bought 5 stars from 3 different shops and all died. You have to treat them right away and treat them well. Good luck!

Starry night

5 Year Member
tjm you are making a BIG mistake by introducing them back together that soon. You really need to quarantine them for another few months. Trust me on this one because I've had to learn the lesson the hard way. I don't want to see you posting on her in another few weeks saying they are both sick again man. Quarantine them. Read on the tortoise trust web site for proper quarantine methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.