RI in 3 year old Sulcata Help please

BowserBoo

Hi,
Last Wednesday we got a 3 year old sulcata tortoise from a family that could no longer keep him. He is my first tortoise, so I have been doing a ton of research. After a couple of days with him I noticed he had nasal drainage. So from what I've learned from my research the nasal drainage is a sign of RI. I took him to the vet yesterday, they prescribed Baytril orally. At the vet we were able to get half of his dose in his mouth. But since then he had stopped eating, and drinking. So I haven't been able to get him to take anything else. He has been sleeping since. I have the temp in his room warmer than normal as I have read that helps with RI. The vet also said he might have a vitamin A defiency, and to give him cod liver oil. I'm worried about him, I help him drain his boogies, I am about to soak him in a warm bath. But am not sure what else I can do for him. I am unaware of how long he has been sick. So any advice would be appreciated.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
a vitamin A deficiency results from a bad diet do you happen to know what he was eating previously? often times when a tortoise is on antibiotics they won't eat it upsets them.

BowserBoo

a vitamin A deficiency results from a bad diet do you happen to know what he was eating previously? often times when a tortoise is on antibiotics they won't eat it upsets them.

I think that he was just given dark leafy greens, sounds like a box or organic salad mix?? I do not feel that they were to educated on his needs. His shell is in good shape, so the vet says they did an okay job caring for him.

BowserBoo

How can you get him to eat then? Sounds like they have to have the antibiotics thru injection?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
antibiotics are given one of three ways injection through the mouth or through nose drops

BowserBoo

How long does it take for them to start feeling better? How long can they go with no food or water? Do they absorb water thru their skin?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Torts are slow to recover compared with mammals.

You must soak twice daily for a good 30 minutes while your tort is unwell.

Adding bird vitamins to soaking water is the way to get vitamins in your tort - not cod liver oil.

@Yvonne G is an expert on baby food soaks to help with recovery. (I have never done it)

BowserBoo

Ok awesome! I will get bird vitamins and soak him. Since I have soaked him he hasn't started to eat and be more active. Thank you all!!