5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
your video is like 1 second...literally :p

IDK if his breathing has anything to do with RI but if there's bubbles coming out the nose and he's gaping and looks like he's yawning then maybe possible RI

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Crap that video didnt upload right :(
He basically sounded a little like he was chirping. it wasnt all the time and i had to get my head right down by his nose to hear it. He doesn't have anything coming out of his nose and he isnt yawning. He would have had to develop this since Monday :(

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I held him up near my face this morning to see if he was still making that chirping type noise when he breathed and he wasn't. Is that something they do? It sounded like a very faint cricket? I am also wondering if he could have gotten water in his nose when he drank? He dips his head down and slurps down water when you put him in the bath.
I think for safety sake I am going to take him in, but I had him right by my ear this morning and I could feel his breath on my face and I heard nothing.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Okay so the vet thinks I am a spaz but I have him in for an appointment tomorrow morning. :) haha.. Can you imagine if I had kids :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
WOW this is the funniest thread....you mentioned what was your potential concern, posted vid, admitted likely freaking out, then set up the vet appt....glad we could be your sounding board....LOLOLOLOL :p

I personally would not be worried, by what you are describing sounds as though he simply had water in his nose due to the bathing and drinking---this is not uncommon..

Also, they are known to chirp from time to time...so would not have worried about that either..

If your tort is "normal" in every other way....I would say he sounds aok :D

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I think why I am freaking out honestly is that he is so different than Betty. It may be just he is a different little guy. He tends to hide and sleep more than her. She eats more than him. She moves a lot quicker than him. I think it is a combination of him being slower, not eating as much, and the noise I heard which makes me worry that maybe he really could be sick. :( His owner said that he was very active and very outgoing but he doesnt seem like it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I hope you understand that I was having fun with you and did not mean any harm by my funnin ya :D

I went and read your thread introducing him...that appears to only be about 4 days ago...so really really new still to his new environment.
Also, you said his prior owner shared he was active and healthy and you have seen your vet who gave him an aok.
My only intent was to share that all that you described here in this thread would not have me worried, that is all.
I totally get it being concerned, totally ;) I just find that if a tort is so new, then calm and routine is what is most important in my opinion, and again, that is in my opinion only.

You my dear need to do what works for you and in the best interest of your tort...so I was only sharing my feelings on your thread topic and truly not trying to direct you in any way to not be freaking out (I am OCD biiig time here, so like I said I get it--and am always talking myself off the top of the mountain....lol )

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
I'd go with what ascott says...I didn't know you only had him 4 days...wait a week or a lil over a week and stick to the same routines and maybe he will open up alot faster. I also didn't know you had already taken him for a vet visit...if so then he should be fine...If he doesn't show signs of improvement within 2 weeks then post back up on here to let us know some progress. LOL Now I'm laughing..sorry :D

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Could he have just gotten water up his nose while bathing?

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
ascott said:
I hope you understand that I was having fun with you and did not mean any harm by my funnin ya :D

I went and read your thread introducing him...that appears to only be about 4 days ago...so really really new still to his new environment.
Also, you said his prior owner shared he was active and healthy and you have seen your vet who gave him an aok.
My only intent was to share that all that you described here in this thread would not have me worried, that is all.
I totally get it being concerned, totally ;) I just find that if a tort is so new, then calm and routine is what is most important in my opinion, and again, that is in my opinion only.

You my dear need to do what works for you and in the best interest of your tort...so I was only sharing my feelings on your thread topic and truly not trying to direct you in any way to not be freaking out (I am OCD biiig time here, so like I said I get it--and am always talking myself off the top of the mountain....lol )

No worries :) I am not easily upset or offended and when I ask for input I gladly accept it... :D
I do appreciate all of the help I have gotten here.
I do also realize that i am being an overprotective spaz but worry that I could cause them harm because of something I don't yet know.

Angi said:
Could he have just gotten water up his nose while bathing?

I wondered that this morning when I was checking his breathing and he was fine. I didn't know it was possible. I just wigged out because my vet said if I ever heard them breathing funny, saw them yawning a lot, or saw any fluid from eyes or nose to get them in immediately. He also told me this both times he saw Betty.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are they housed together? Or does he have his own enclosure?

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
He has his own enclosure. He's a marginated and she's a russian. They can see each other but no funny business allowed ;)

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I have a tape that you can hear the noise :(
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v485/kerryannjeep/Kerry Droid/?action=view&current=a80ed7a7.mp4
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v485/kerryannjeep/Kerry Droid/?action=view&current=785b6b02.mp4

I am freaking out again :(

I should say that he is actually being very active right now even though it looked like he was sleeping when i got home. he trying to climb out of the little enclosure my husband created for playtime indoors. He does climb like a ninja.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
sounds like he's having trouble breathing?!? I think your best bet would be to bring him in unless someone knows what this is or has experience dealing with this

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Lol...I did not hear anything on the first link...so went to the second link and all I heard dear was a slight squeak or whistle....no gurgle..no raspy...no deep down infected sound....I would think he is dry.....maybe bump the enclosure humidity a "little" ....I know that when the RFs (I know a different species) are out in the warm dry air outside getting sun by the time they have been out there awhile they will begin to do the I am a little dry squeak/whistle...but once back in their enclosure the squeak goes away...or if it is hot out I will mist them while still outside or will turn the outside over head misters on and they can continue to remain out without the whistle...

From what I hear in your second vid I don't hear anything that is bad....also, I have heard what RIs sound like and that does not resemble that beastly infection...:D

Certainly wait around for the others to share as well...the more the merrier....:p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I heard a audible whistle. It could be an RI it could also be something stuck in his nostrils. Either way that is not normal breathing for a tortoise. The funny thing about RI's in my experience is that even if they have labored breathing from it, it is usually not audible. If his eating and activity levels are normal I would lean towards something stuck, but in all honesty I would get a vet visit done just in case

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I took him to the vet today and he said that the whistle was odd but didn't always mean RI. He looked in his nose and didn't see anything. He was happy with his activity level. I have to call the vet on Sunday and let him know how he is doing. He said if it's RI I will see more symptoms by Sunday. He doesn't want to give him treatment until we know for sure since it can be hard on the kidneys.
I know he is active but his appetite isn't as large as Betty's and she is half his size. The doctor thought some of his hiding and not eating much could also be because he is so new.
I know I could be being a spaz but I dont want to be one of those people who waits too long.

ascott said:
Lol...I did not hear anything on the first link...so went to the second link and all I heard dear was a slight squeak or whistle....no gurgle..no raspy...no deep down infected sound....I would think he is dry.....maybe bump the enclosure humidity a "little" ....I know that when the RFs (I know a different species) are out in the warm dry air outside getting sun by the time they have been out there awhile they will begin to do the I am a little dry squeak/whistle...but once back in their enclosure the squeak goes away...or if it is hot out I will mist them while still outside or will turn the outside over head misters on and they can continue to remain out without the whistle...

From what I hear in your second vid I don't hear anything that is bad....also, I have heard what RIs sound like and that does not resemble that beastly infection...:D

Certainly wait around for the others to share as well...the more the merrier....:p

I soak him every other night and he drinks a lot and he has water in his cage. I also mist his and betty's cage everyday so it stays around 40 percent humidity.

I messaged the video to his last owner and she said that he makes that noise from time to time. :p that makes me feel better..

In fact she just said he does it after a bath since he sticks his whole head under water.. I didn't see him do that but :p it is funny that she said that and it started after his bath..

Status
Not open for further replies.