Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
shmily1605 said:
Redfoot NERD said:
Angi said:
Well I was already sad when I started reading this thread. Now I am sad and pissed at Petco.

Angi how do you think I feel when I read about someone who has "rescued" a RF from "wherever".. and then creates an environment and cares for it not a whole lot better than where it came from. And then blames the other guy for not caring for them right. "He was pyramided when I got him.. I'll feed him right and get him a good UVB bulb to make sure it doesn't get worse!" -- good grief!

I can count on one hand the ones that look good a year after someone received a hatchling from me.... "send them to school.. buy them books.. and what do they do? - eat the books!"

NERD

Im sorry I may be wrong but are you talking about me? I said the same thing in one of my posts when I first got her (my sulcata), "She was pyramiding when I got her but hopefully with adequate exercise, proper food, lighting, and a humid environment it will improve." Correct me if Im wrong.

Angi sulcata and redfoot tortoises come from totally different CONTINENTS.. so I couldn't have been talking about you. This thread is about RF torts.. isn't it?

Don't anyone misquote me when I say that the humidity 'directly on' the carapace prevents pyramiding.. the other things you mentioned can and do influence how the 'shell' develops and grows - but that's not "pyramiding" caused by the lack of surface humidity.

Hopefully there won't be too many that mis-interpret what I just said. The only reason I'm on this thread is because it's about redfoots.. I know little or nothing about other species ----- however I do have friends that breed them

I make blanket statements often Angi.. and I seldom direct anything to someone in particular.. but when I do they know it.

Terry K

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
terryo said:
If I was rich, I would buy everyone and try to find good homes for all of them. What a dream....:(

It's a great dream!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Nerd~ It was not me that replied. I have never bought a tort or turtle from anyone. Mine were given to me by people that needed to find homes for them. I think it was SHMILY1605 you want to reply to. I was just sad because my worms died and pissed at Petco.
Maybe there is nothing we can do for these poor pet store torts.....but what if one of you experts made a care sheet, ( I am pretty sure you already have) and we all pledge to hand it out to 5 pet stores. Could we make a small difference???????

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Angi said:
Nerd~ It was not me that replied. I have never bought a tort or turtle from anyone. Mine were given to me by people that needed to find homes for them. I think it was SHMILY1605 you want to reply to. I was just sad because my worms died and pissed at Petco.
Maybe there is nothing we can do for these poor pet store torts.....but what if one of you experts made a care sheet, ( I am pretty sure you already have) and we all pledge to hand it out to 5 pet stores. Could we make a small difference???????

Yes Angie is right NERD I said that. I was talking about getting a RF from the petstore and then said that I would give it a better home. And then you said what you said and I thought you were talking about me. I just wanted to make sure I was not wrong in my thinking. Just a big mix up. :p
@ Angie that is like a really really great idea. We should try that.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I was talking to Angie when I said.. "Angi how do you think I feel, etc."

Yep I guess I was replying to shmily1605 - ( why doesn't anybody use there name.. address someone or sign there name? ) - when I talked about the different species and their different care.

[ both of you/anybody ] Yes I have a caresheet that will raise a RF healthy with a smooth carapace/plastron.. regardless what/which climate anybody lives in.. PERIOD! As long as they don't try to reinvent the wheel and are willing to do what needs to be done everyday! Are there other ways to raise them?.. as many ways as there are "keepers".

Oh.. BTW - one of my hatchlings from Oct. 1998 just laid 4 nice eggs tonight.. must be doing something right. See the redfootcare link in my siggy...

NERD

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
( why doesn't anybody use there name.. address someone or sign there name? )
I agree with that one NERD....Why can't we all be on a first name bases? If you all don't want to give your real name...give another one....but a name would be so nice. sigh.......

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
dmmj said:
I am pretty sure that petco does not buy from breeders.
They buy all of their animals from wholesalers. When I worked at petco, I did research on our main reptile wholesaler, and he was prone to selling animals with multiple types of parasites. Keep that in mind.

And, like has been said, if you 'rescue' one, they'll just get another. You told them it was ok.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
terryo said:
It is very noble to say don't buy from pet stores, and it has to start somewhere, but I have come to realize that no one person is going to make a difference, and the masses are not going to ban together to save the tortoises of the world. Money is what matters to these people.

I worked at a free spay/neuter clinic a few years ago on the reservation where I was teaching at the time. We put in 85 hours in 6 days, and the sole vet was exhausted and depressed. He said people often asked him if the clinics made any difference, because people just go out and get new pups/kitties and let them breed unrestricted. His reply was, "I made a difference for this animal."

It would be great if we could change the pet industry. But I totally agree with those who would go ahead and buy the cutie in the pet store, and make a difference for that individual animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.