RF tort from Petsmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

tg1119

5 Year Member
I currently have a yearling Yellow-foot (Smitty) that is just over 3 inches and has nice smooth growth, thanks to these forums. I keep Smitty in a 40" x 30" tortoise table that I built.

I was in Petsmart and they had a Red-foot that looked to be 5 to 6 inches with minor pyramiding. The tortoise is on sale for $69 and I would like to rescue it from the pet store.

My questions are: Would there be a problem keeping a 3" and a 6" tortoise in the same table? Would a 40" x 30" table be big enough to keep the two tortoises for the next year or so?

Thanks
Todd

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
What are your plans for housing the new one during his quarantine period? Or were you going to risk the life and health of your yellowfoot to add this new tortoise directly in? Sorry to sat that is such a blunt and almost cruel way, but let's get this subject out on the table for you to think about right away. ;)

Next issue (I am by passing any arguments on mixing tortoises, even close related ones)I would worry about is the size issue. The bigger one may bully the smaller one. IF that were to happen, do you have a backup plan (the ability to offer a second housing space that is able to correctly fill the needs of the second tortoise)?

Would these guys have the ability to have any time spent in a roomy area (or outside time) during this year? It sounds like too small of a space in my mind, if we are talking full time housing for a year.

No way you could build another table or fix up a plastic tub of some sort?

tg1119

5 Year Member
Thank you for your quick response and I would rather have a blunt answer than someone blowing smoke. I did not even think about quarantine, I have kept fish and know the importance of this, I just wanted to get the little guy out of the pet store. My big issue is about the size difference and not being able to maintain a 2nd table for the RF. I think I will pass on the RF unless it is still in the store for a while and then I might have to find room for another table.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Jacqui unfortunately 'most' view the TRUTH as a direct assault on their ignorance of caring and keeping different species of LIFE!

I'm virtually ignorant of caring for most all tortoise from the North Eastern hemisphere.. so as a result if I wanted to keep them I would ask those that have kept them and raised them from hatchling to adult. And that's the truth - :p

Todd most likely if [ in fact ] your YF is a year old he would be much bigger than 3" SCL. Unless they grow much slower than RF's. That 40" x 30" is only big enough for your YF for a year.. at best! And when you do expand make it 4X longer than wide. It's better for them to have a long run than 'running around in circles'! AND YF's live IN the forest.. they should have very little light in 'most' of their enclosure - that's why a rectangle is better.. you can SPOTLIGHT an area for them to eat at.

IF I were you.. and felt I needed to have a RF.. I would get one closer to the same size as your YF and quarantine him for at least 6 months until I knew the RF was healthy.

If it were me.. I would get another YF closer to the same size because the YF's and the RF's will be so much different in size 5-6 years down the road.. the YF by adult size will be a LOT BIGGER!

As far as "bullying" it would probly just be a size difference and the instinct to survive. Of course there are always exceptions and extremes.

NOW since it takes me so long to type a reply.. I read your reply Todd and you have made the best choice.... consider the other info.

LindaF

5 Year Member
I know how you feel. I have been watching a little red foot at petco for months now and want to rescue her. This summer it would have been easy enough to deal with quarantine. The only thing that stopped me is she was a wild imported tortoise. Imported exotics are treated so cruelly. It is a miracle any survive to the pet stores where they are sold at bargain basement prices. Buying a wild import is like buying a dog from a puppy mill. I might have seen it as a "rescue" but the store/corporate office would just have seen it as a sale and there was a demand for stocking red foots. Mean while the poor baby is still stuck there crawling around on rabbit pellets in a glass enclosure eating iceberg lettuce and tomatoes....it makes me want to cry

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
I just went to Petco yesterday and there was a RF and I felt sooooo bad for him. He had the sweetest face I have ever seen on a tort. He was $109 so I couldn't get him :( He was also about 6-7'' and had some pyramiding. It was weird because his spots on his head were not red more like a unhealthy looking yellow white color. IDK what that means though. BUt when I get a 109 dollars I think Im gonna have to go and get that sweet little fella. ;)

tortoiserescue

5 Year Member
Rescuing a tortoise from a pet store is never a good idea - they just go out and buy more. use your communications skills to dissuade the store from selling animals. We bugged our local store so much they stopped selling reptiles. It works! Contact some rescues to adopt another tortoise.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You never "rescue" an animal from a pet store, you buy it, then they will go buy another to sell again. I know how you feel I see all the russians at petco and I want to buy them all, but that would just encourage them to go and get more, I only saw one RF at petco about 2 years ago, mine love selling russians.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
I understand what you guys are saying but this is a big chain store; "Petco". The people they buy them from was more than likely not taking care of them either so what about the ones they still have when Petco is not buying them from them? How is it any different than buying from the actual breeder rather than Petco? If petco dont buy from them than they will just sell direct to the public which Im sure they already do. I'd rather I have him than some little kid that dont know what he is doing to have him. Im not just gonna sit back and watch this little guy suffer in his 20gal tank. I understand not buying a dog from a pet store because of puppy mills but this is just a little different IMO. My whole theory may be wrong on this and Im not trying to start anything. :shy:

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I am pretty sure that petco does not buy from breeders. At least regarding russians anyways, they just buy them from the importers for like 10 15 bucks a piece. I m just saying you buy the RF (it's your choice) they will have another to replace it most likely.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
dmmj said:
I am pretty sure that petco does not buy from breeders. At least regarding russians anyways, they just buy them from the importers for like 10 15 bucks a piece. I m just saying you buy the RF (it's your choice) they will have another to replace it most likely.

OK OK lol I wont get him. But dang its so hard though. Tough situation

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
shmily1605 said:
I understand what you guys are saying but this is a big chain store; "Petco". The people they buy them from was more than likely not taking care of them either so what about the ones they still have when Petco is not buying them from them? How is it any different than buying from the actual breeder rather than Petco? If petco dont buy from them than they will just sell direct to the public which Im sure they already do. I'd rather I have him than some little kid that dont know what he is doing to have him. Im not just gonna sit back and watch this little guy suffer in his 20gal tank. I understand not buying a dog from a pet store because of puppy mills but this is just a little different IMO. My whole theory may be wrong on this and Im not trying to start anything. :shy:

I have a different view on the whole pet store thing. I personally have no problems buying from them. In my own experience, I have never gotten an ill one from them. I also look at why let this animal suffer or die? Why waste his/her genes?It's not like it can go back into the wild. Yes the store MIGHT get another one, but maybe they won't.

Buying from a breeder is nice, as you SHOULD be able to see parents (or possible parents) and they SHOULD be healthy and well cared for, not always the case in reality. To me, the worse part is you usually have to get a hatchling. Also often you pay a lot more for instance a hatchling Russian from a breeder, then an adult from a pet store or other sellers. I really as a rule don't like raising hatchlings and would much rather get an adult whom I can see what they will look like as adults and know what sex they are.

tg1119 said:
Thank you for your quick response and I would rather have a blunt answer than someone blowing smoke. I did not even think about quarantine, I have kept fish and know the importance of this, I just wanted to get the little guy out of the pet store. My big issue is about the size difference and not being able to maintain a 2nd table for the RF. I think I will pass on the RF unless it is still in the store for a while and then I might have to find room for another table.

I understand about wanting to get him out of the pet store, I have the same problem at times. I have a real soft spot especially for real old tortoises, so I do at times buy from the pet stores. :cool:

I think passing at this time, is the best thing for you and in the long run the tortoises (both your current one and the store one).

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Well I was already sad when I started reading this thread. Now I am sad and pissed at Petco.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Angi said:
Well I was already sad when I started reading this thread. Now I am sad and pissed at Petco.

I know, I dont know what to do now. I really feel bad for him. I mean he is like 7'' or more and is in a 20 gal tank for which he has probably been in his whole life.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Realize I was not trying to tell you what to do, simply offering some info, you do whatever you feel like doing.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
dmmj said:
Realize I was not trying to tell you what to do, simply offering some info, you do whatever you feel like doing.

O yeah I know I appreciate it. Its just a hard decision to make. You should see his sweet little face.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Angi said:

Angi how do you think I feel when I read about someone who has "rescued" a RF from "wherever".. and then creates an environment and cares for it not a whole lot better than where it came from. And then blames the other guy for not caring for them right. "He was pyramided when I got him.. I'll feed him right and get him a good UVB bulb to make sure it doesn't get worse!" -- good grief!

I can count on one hand the ones that look good a year after someone received a hatchling from me.... "send them to school.. buy them books.. and what do they do? - eat the books!"

NERD

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Redfoot NERD said:
Angi said:

Angi how do you think I feel when I read about someone who has "rescued" a RF from "wherever".. and then creates an environment and cares for it not a whole lot better than where it came from. And then blames the other guy for not caring for them right. "He was pyramided when I got him.. I'll feed him right and get him a good UVB bulb to make sure it doesn't get worse!" -- good grief!

I can count on one hand the ones that look good a year after someone received a hatchling from me.... "send them to school.. buy them books.. and what do they do? - eat the books!"

NERD

Im sorry I may be wrong but are you talking about me? I said the same thing in one of my posts when I first got her (my sulcata), "She was pyramiding when I got her but hopefully with adequate exercise, proper food, lighting, and a humid environment it will improve." Correct me if Im wrong.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I really don't think he was talking about you at all. Your comments about hoping the sulcata would improve after making sure all those listed factors were correct for her, was the right thing to be thinking.:)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is such a debatable topic, and everyone has their own opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to buy him, if I had the money. Someone else will eventually, and they probably will set him up just like the pet store tells them to. And then the pet store will just get another one. So isn't it better if you get him and give him a good home?
My son's friend had a little Russian he bought from Petco, and no matter what I told him to do, he insisted that the pet store knew better, and kept him in a 20 gal tank with sand....to pathetic to even talk about. He died this year, after 5 years of suffering. If someone had come along that knew what they were doing, and bought him, he would be alive and healthy today.
It is very noble to say don't buy from pet stores, and it has to start somewhere, but I have come to realize that no one person is going to make a difference, and the masses are not going to ban together to save the tortoises of the world. Money is what matters to these people.
There are so many pet stores that sell puppies that they get from puppy mills. If no one buys them, and they are too old to sell, they go right back to the puppy mill, and just get a new bunch in. They are not going to stop getting them, and the poor older dogs just go back to a miserable life. Nothing is going to change, no matter what you do.
All the talk about not wearing fun, the campaigning, the advertising...etc. The fur industry is just as big as ever.
So why not try to save one tortoise.
If I was rich, I would buy everyone and try to find good homes for all of them. What a dream....:(

Status
Not open for further replies.