RF specific plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireflyfarm

5 Year Member
Wasn't sure where to post this....couple questions on outdoor enclosure plants. We have read all the links and posts on edible plants and landscape plants but there is conflicting information. Couple Q:
Are banana trees ok? We have some dwarf bananas we could plant.
Any hibiscus?
Oak tree leaves? Saw on one site that wasn't ok. We have live oaks that might drop a small amount of leaf litter in their pen.
Thanks in advance for the guidance

Fireflyfarm

5 Year Member
Thanks! I did get feedback that banana is fine to plant but it won't last long. Seems they will eat it up!!

thereptileenthusiast

5 Year Member
You can buy small and plant in pots until they are big enough to plant in the enclosure without getting stripped. Another option is just to plant near the enclosure and prune off pieces to feed. I highly recommend hibiscus. The leaves have a great calcium/phosphorus ratio and they love both the blooms and the leaves. It grows into a large bush here in S. Florida or can be grown as a hedge as well. If you have the room a mulberry tree will give you a non stop source of highly nutritious leaves as well as delicious fruit for both you and your torts. There are dwarf varieties if space is an issue. As far as the occasional oak tree leaf, I know quite a few who keep redfoots beneath live oaks with no issues. They aren't as stupid as we think. Mine take their time to really smell every new weed and then start by taking tiny bites before they decide whether to eat it. Obviously you wouldn't intentionally plant a known toxic plant in the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.