Redfoot tortoise enclosure planting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
My 2.4 red foot herd will soon be moving to their new 30x15 enclosure. I'm looking for plants to landscape with. I know of many plants that are edible, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with good plants for them. I'm looking for something that survives well in south florida (super high humidity, heat enough to scramble an egg on your driveway :) and can stand up to their grazing. I already have hibiscus. Thanks in advance.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
I can't comment intelligently about plants for your enclosure in Florida, I'm on the other side of the country. However I do have experience with indoor and outdoor enclosures with Redfoots and found they EAT EVERYTHING! I've found 3 plants that work for me. #1 hops, yes the stuff beer is made out of. It's a vine, grows 10 inches a month and creates awesome shade. They won't touch it. #2 Hostas, mine will nibble but not decimate them and #3 evergreen type shrubs, they branch out high and I find it's good shade and an excellent place to put a water source.

Hope that helps.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Are you sure you want to plant edible stuff? They will devour it very quickly. Put some banana trees in with them. Watch the redfoots turn into beavers, its very funny when you here one crash and then they mutilate the entire plant when it falls in the pen. I usually just go with majesty palms for low shade, and nice look. If you want to go with edible stuff just check the tortoise table and make sure its not toxic first and plant away. But Im telling you they will mutilate the edible ones :D

Status
Not open for further replies.