RF hatchling enclosure

Yo Adrien

Location (City and/or State)
Clearwater, FL
Hello All, I have spent many hours on here reading on tortoise needs for various types and decided on RF, mostly due to my climate. Then decided on hatchlings.
This is my daughter's old bookcase, 44"X28" lined with linoleum (shelves too!). It is 2/3 covered, no problem with humidity in coastal Florida! Lol
Substrate is organic soil/coir (& earthworms! Lol) with little more coir and green sphagnum moss on top to mist when dry.
I'm using 65 watt flood light, hanging straight down & fixture has dimmer to adjust for summer temps. UVB tropical 25 18" T8, not mounted yet but rests on shelves about 10" above substrate.

The cool dry side has 2 dry hides, temp 82-84F/humidity 78-82%. Warm side 84-90/88-99% with wood from my yard making 2 natural looking humid hides at edge of "basking area". I have some plants in pots, some directly in substrate. Night temps are going about 5 degrees below listed day temps.
From what I read, it will only be 'pretty' for a short time, I just hope I can keep some plants going!! Lol

My babies will be here on Thursday from Vicki at the Tortoise Yard!! :D
I will gladly accept any constructive criticism, as I only want to provide the best environment I can for them. I have more pics, still trying to figure out how to attach!! Lol

Attachments

• 1490747423812.jpg
    1490747423812.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 51

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Be careful with those hot temps. Not only does anything over 89-90 seem to stress out a Redfoot, but high heat will also dry out a hatchling. And it could kill one pretty quickly if one flips over in the area. And hatchlings LOVE to flip over.
Also, try to get an all over temp of say,84 with no cool side or hot side.
See what your parameters are and maybe look into switching out the floodlight for a lower wattage CHE. You won't need bright lights and they wont want it, either. Just the warmth.

Yo Adrien

Clearwater, FL
Be careful with those hot temps. Not only does anything over 89-90 seem to stress out a Redfoot, but high heat will also dry out a hatchling. And it could kill one pretty quickly if one flips over in the area. And hatchlings LOVE to flip over.
Also, try to get an all over temp of say,84 with no cool side or hot side.
See what your parameters are and maybe look into switching out the floodlight for a lower wattage CHE. You won't need bright lights and they wont want it, either. Just the warmth.
Thank you @ZEROPILOT,
I do have lower wattage bulbs, my fixture has a dimmer, and I will move it more towards center and maybe raise it slightly. That is exactly the kind of feedback I want & need, thanks a lot! :) High 70's is OK for nighttime?

Yo Adrien

Clearwater, FL
Yes.
Even low 70s.
I made a few adjustments due to their climbing and my fear of them flipping!! They seem to be seeking, using all the hides throughout the day and night. :)

Attachments

• 1491146432816-1365236432.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Very pretty enclosure! Mine was nice like that too when they were little then they grew into monsters and destroy everything LOL! :D

Yo Adrien

Clearwater, FL
Thank you, it's been rather fun! My 'Empty Nest' hobby!! :D Lol I'm really just hoping to keep some plants alive after a few months!
Now I can start on a Rubbermaid under bed storage bin for short outdoor periods, under correct temp/humidity conditions & hides,(and my supervision), for fresh air and natural UVB. I've brought them outside briefly in their soaking bin for sun this weekend, then they ate like crazy!! That pleases me! Lol
Now I want a Torti Cam for when I'm at work! Lol

Attachments

• 1491180806011.jpg
    1491180806011.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 11