Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
I keep getting mixed opinions on having Olly in a glass tank. The tank is 55" by 20". I have the day and night light on one side for her heat source and it stays around 80-82 where i have the thermometer on that side. I do need to get one for the other side. Her food and water are on the cool side. Her substrate is the coco stuff and timothy grass. She loves to burrow under the grass. She is almost 3". I did add a slate rock under the light since this pic and she has rearranged the hay... Lol. Also how often should i change the substrate? Thanks!
View attachment 30307

Last edited by a moderator:

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
lori12386 said:
I keep getting mixed opinions on having Olly in a glass tank. The tank is 55" by 20". I have the day and night light on one side for her heat source and it stays around 80-82 where i have the thermometer on that side. I do need to get one for the other side. Her food and water are on the cool side. Her substrate is the coco stuff and timothy grass. She loves to burrow under the grass. She is almost 3". I did add a slate rock under the light since this pic and she has rearranged the hay... Lol. Also how often should i change the substrate? Thanks!

HI! The glass tank looks big enough (for now). Does your tort seem to try and get out because he can see through? I am not sure on what kind of tortoise you have, but I have a basking spot around 95. Middle ground of high 80s and the hide about 75 (slightly above during the day). As far as substrate goes, I would change it when it seems to be very used. As a small tort maybe not as often (not sure about that though just my guess) Do you have a UVB light?

Oh, and a few suggestions. My torts LOVE plants all around their enclosures. Gives them security and more interest. Also, i keep my water dish under or around the heat lamp so it stays warm. They seem to enjoy basking in their water dish. And my torts like their hides against the wall so that it is more of a cave they can retreat to.

So far looking good :)
Happy Torting!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I could type for an hour here trying to make all my pointS, but it is already in the threads in my signature. There are some things that could use some improvement. Your light fixtures and temperature situation come to mind. Stick on thermometers are not very useful. If the warm side is only 80, the cool side is probably much too cool. You need to KNOW all your temps. You are courting disaster there. Click on the links in my signature, and please come back with any questions. We might still have time to prevent a problem here.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
what are you mixed opinions? the old concerns of stale air? the clear walls and a tort trying to walk through them?

you really should take Tom up on his suggestion to read the thread links in his signature. you will find out a lot of great info!!

about your glass tank question, my little leopard tortoise has an indoor glass tank and does not have an issue with rubbing the walls or trying to escape. so in my case the glass walls work. if yours is the same (no rubbing) then dont worry about that. if he is rubbing you can add a paper border so he cant see through.
if its about stale air that is irrelevant to me because i have a closed top to keep in humidity.

there is a big difference in my glass tank set up and yours. i set up my glass tank with the recommendations Tom gives in his threads. :)

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I would try to keep the water dish away from the hay also. The hay sucks up all the water if it gets in the bowl and hay molds easily if it gets wet.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I read the threads. I dont notice much difference in my setup. The things i do need to get is a humid box, some plants and a different thermometer and humidty thing. We spray the insides with water daily and her as well and i soak her a couple times a week. I also catch her drinking often. She has a halogen flood bulb during the day and an infrared buld at night. I will be going to petsmart tomorrow for fresh coco coir and such. What else do i need? I also plan on taking her outside more often to graze and explore. While i watch her of course! I am open to any suggesions though! For the most part she seems happy and healthy and is growing.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have the day and night light on one side for her heat source and it stays around 80-82 where i have the thermometer on that side. I do need to get one for the other side.

*you dont need another light on the other side, but 80 should be the cool temp, not the basking temp. either a higher wattage bulb, or lowering the fixture is needed. place a temp probe under the light and aim for 100 or so as a basking them. then it should start cooling down towards the other side and be 80 at the far end of the tank.

Her food and water are on the cool side. Her substrate is the coco stuff and timothy grass.

*if you decide to increase humidity which you should, the hay has to be removed. it will mold from the moisture.

I did add a slate rock under the light since this pic

*this slate rock will be even better with the higher temp!!

I read the threads. I dont notice much difference in my setup. The things i do need to get is a humid box, some plants and a different thermometer and humidty thing.

*A humid box is great, but I personally dont use one only because my overall humidity is always 80%. if you do want to make one use tupperware for another free improvement. plants are great. real and fake! they help keep humidity up, offer something to walk around, under etc. at least one thermometer on each side so you know the basking temp and cool end temp.

She has a halogen flood bulb during the day and an infrared buld at night.

*id switch to a CHE for night. it keeps the tank warm without light. lets the tort sleep in darkness.

I also plan on taking her outside more often to graze and explore. While i watch her of course!

*you can always lay some bricks out in a box form while you watch your tort outside. this way you have a boundary they can't cross. but you still have to sit and watch like you said ;) but the bricks give you back up just in case

I am open to any suggesions though!

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Thanks so much! You gave me exactly what i wanted. The humidty is at about 60 right now. Tomorrow i will switch out the hay and just do the coco fiber. What is a CHE? I did get to take her out some today. It was a jungle for her... Lol. I did take some pics. She also ate a few bites of grass!
View attachment 30366
View attachment 30367
View attachment 30368

Last edited by a moderator:

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Ceramic Heat Emitter...it looks like a light bulb sort of. It goes in the same socket the light bulbs do. I use a CHE on one end of my tank all the time to keep the temp at 80* and then have the basking one on the other side that I turn on for the day. I take my guys outside as soon as it gets warm enough and leave them there until it cools off. So I don't need a UVB. I also soak mine every day for one hour in direct sunlight. It keeps the water warm and I am sure they get at least an hour of natural sunlight.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Thanks! I will look for one tomorrow!

LuckysGirl007 said:
Ceramic Heat Emitter...it looks like a light bulb sort of. It goes in the same socket the light bulbs do. I use a CHE on one end of my tank all the time to keep the temp at 80* and then have the basking one on the other side that I turn on for the day. I take my guys outside as soon as it gets warm enough and leave them there until it cools off. So I don't need a UVB. I also soak mine every day for one hour in direct sunlight. It keeps the water warm and I am sure they get at least an hour of natural sunlight.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Thanks. Shes still learning how to graze. But shpuld catch on soon. She tried some sand even... Haha. Shes exploring the world.

Team Gomberg said:
I LOVE THOSE OUTSIDE PICTURES!! :) what a great grazing area!

Status
Not open for further replies.