Revised Tortoise Table!

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger16

5 Year Member
OK, so I finally got my tortoise table seperated into two different environments. Got the tropical side on the left, and the desert side to the right. Zoidberg (our Burmese) seems MUCH happier already. And the other 3 seem much happier too, which is great. Got some pics here spanning the entire enclosure, as well as some pics of our babies. For reference, the larger of the 2 Sulcatas is Egon, the smaller of the 2 is Tokka, and the little Algerian is Greedo. And of course as I stated before, the Burmese is Zoidberg. Enjoy the pics, and please any advice or opinions on how i could improve their enclosure even more would be entirely welcome. Btw, i have put some fine screen mesh over 3/4 of the tropical area to help hold in moisture, basically the entire area except under the CHE. Thanks everyone.

163.jpg
164.jpg
165.jpg
166.jpg
167.jpg
168.jpg
169.jpg
171.jpg

Oh one thing i failed to mention: the areas where the succulants are planted, are some built in kitty litter trays filled with soil, and I loaded them with grass seed today. Hopefully it will start growing in nice and thick in a week or so, to give them some nice grazing material.

badger16

5 Year Member
Not quite yet Laura. But within the year for sure. For the mean time I think they've got plenty of room to run around in.

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
This is a very cool table. I love the two sides and the different sizes of your sulcatas and the Algerian. Makes them almost like the 3 stooges :)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Look's good :) I would suggest getting some plexiglas instead of mesh to cover your top mesh will not keep that much in you what a soild top maybe you could have a piece of glass cut to fit just a thought :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like how you've changed out the enclosure. Try keeping the Asian side real moist. I usually take the hose to mine every morning and add water. In the house, a whole pitcherfull would probably do. Did you put some of the moss inside the half log? They like to burrow into their hiding places. Here, even my males will scrape up leaf litter into a pile for burrowing into. Move the light over to the side so the majority of the habitat is a bit darker.

Has the Asian started to eat yet?

badger16

5 Year Member
Yes Emys, I've got some moss under the log. He spent the night burrowed up in there. I saw him take like 2 bites of food, and then move away from it. Haven't seen any more than that. I'm hopeful though. He was able to open his eyes easily on his own this morning and they look like they've cleared up a lot, and he seems much more active. I'm keeping a close eye on em. By light do you mean the UVB fluorescent? Or the hanging light fixture? The fluorescent is as far to the right as it can go, and the hanging one is just a CHE, so no light. It has the hiding spot I made that's decent size and is positioned to block the light from the UVB. If its still a problem I can turn that individual fluorescent off and the Sulcatas will still have the 4 footer on their side which should be more than enough.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that's fine like it is then.

What foods are you offering the Asian?

badger16

5 Year Member
I have tried several things, just to get something in his belly, usually it's a mix of greens, and I try mixing in a shredded carrot or muzuri every other day, but in total so far I have tried collard greens, mustard greens, kale, carrot, muzuri, apple, mango, mushrooms, blueberries, raspberries. I've got a couple kinds of squash and endive in the fridge I plan on trying as well. Might have to try some of these things again once he starts feeling better and eating regularly.

Oh, there's been grass and alfafa hay as well offered.

badger16

5 Year Member
Probably not ideal. Im keeping him warm and hydrated, and he eats like a little champ though. The Sulcatas haven't bothered him. In fact, he and Egon snuggle up and sleep against eachother all the time. I'm watching closely, and if it begins to be an issue or when the sullies get too big, I'll work something out for em.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I was juat wondering cause I bought three Greeks and I have one sully in a 4 by 6 tortoise table that Is huge huge for him and if its okay I might just bought the three Greeks in there with him . I have bought a under the bed storage box for them to live in tho

badger16

5 Year Member
Well, honestly, I've been advised not to, so I can't personally recommend it in good faith. As I said, I'm keeping a very close eye on any signs of trouble. It's still early on, so it's hard to say if all will be ok or not.

What kind of Greeks are the ones you got?

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
They look like this
tgi1.JPG
I'm pretty sure they are just plain Greek tortoises :) I know there r a lot of sub species and I bought them from Chris here on the forum who told me their scientific name but its some where in my email . I will have to fish it put haha
I am in the end going to keep them separate cause its just more peace of mind that way and I think Gupta very much enjoys having all that space to him self
attachment.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

badger16

5 Year Member
Yeah, I'd imagine that is best. I really don't know enough about greeks to be honest with you. The main thing I've gathered is that you should figure out what sub species it is so that you can get an idea of what it's natural environment is. There are Greeks from Europe, middle east, and northern Africa, all with slightly different environment needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.