Returning to TFO

IchaMom

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Hi Everyone! I'm

IMG_0508.jpg IMG_4243.JPG the proud caretaker of a nine year old sulcata named Ichabod. I have had him since he was about 3 months old when he was given to me as a gift. I was active on this forum when he was a hatchling and took a break for a while. Today, I was looking for some information on varying up diet for sulcatas and it seems this forum has really developed since then! I also noticed a lot more positivity!

My biggest challenge has always been to make sure that Ichabod develops in a healthy way, we had a little trouble with pyramiding but his new growth seems much smoother. Now that he is a little older he spends all his time outside during the spring/summer/early fall (it gets a little cold in the winter in PA), and I feel like that has really helped. I've always appreciated the feedback on this forum about ways to raise sulcatas. I also really enjoy seeing others tort pics.

We bought a house this year and are excited to get planting so he has plenty of grasses and dandelions (he loves those). I'm looking into growing prickly pear because he's into that as well.

I'm also hoping he's big enough now to determine his gender. When he came to me I was told he is most likely male, hence Ichabod, but he seems to me to be a bit on the smaller side so lately I've been wondering if he is actually a female.

I'm looking forward to continuing to learn from this forum! I attached two pics one of his tort table (he's sleeping in his house at the moment) and one from his first day in the new yard (hence why it is not mowed down)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's very pretty, but his 'house' is way too small for him. But if he's used to it and settles nicely, then thank goodness it's only temporary. If you post pictures of his bottom shell including the tail we can tell you his gender.

IchaMom

PA
He's very pretty, but his 'house' is way too small for him. But if he's used to it and settles nicely, then thank goodness it's only temporary. If you post pictures of his bottom shell including the tail we can tell you his gender.

Yes, I should have added that we are actually making that whole side of the table into a covered house for next season. Just waiting until he goes back outside before making any changes. But, he actually has enough space to move around and doesn't get stuck, so at least it is still working for him.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Welcome back! I've only been a member a couple years but have stayed because of the members. Everyone with very few exceptions has been so nice and helpful it makes me want to pay it forward. @Yvonne G has said something that stuck with me in the past that you may appreciate. I remember when I was choosing my first tortoise liking a sulcata but I found out they dug a lot so I chose not to go that route. Yvonne had mentioned that hers don't dig and she thinks that is because she has built a large heated shed with a ramp that's easy to go up and get in. With such an easy access to a comfortable heated area why would they bother digging down into the Earth? Definitely something I would consider if I had a digging tortoise... Especially if my tortoise didn't dig yet they would never learn to do it if they had a heated shed...