reticulated python care?

Kenzi W

I would like to learn more about the care of reticulated pythons. I've tried to research but there's not that much info that I can find! Here's some stuff I need to know about adults:
Minimum tank size
Approx. mice per week
Best substrate
How old until 'mature'
Temperament
Etc.
Sorry I know some of this stuff but I just wanna make sure I found the right info.
Thanks in advance!

jcaporaletti

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
United States
For adults 8' to 10' cages
Breed around 3-4 years of age depending of sex
1 10-15 lbs rabbit a week or small pig every few weeks
Most can be aggressive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For adults 8' to 10' cages
Breed around 3-4 years of age depending of sex
1 10-15 lbs rabbit a week or small pig every few weeks
Most can be aggressive.

Agreed.

I would add that I prefer orchid bark for substrate. My area is very dry and humidity is always and issue, so I also provide large plastic tubs or boxes with lids and damp substrate to make a humid hide for them. Just make the box bigger and bigger as the snake grows and grows and grows... All of my snakes have nice clean sheds using this technique.

Its also a good idea to have a second person as an assistant anytime the cage door is opened on any snake over 10' long. Just in case.

Turtlepete

South Florida
What is your prior experience with large snakes….?

Retics are not for every one. In several years you are caring for a massive snake. 15+ feet with ease and much, much stronger than you. They need a very large cage and costly food….They are not easy animals to care for and are simply not the best pets.

If you are looking for a nice snake, boas are a thousand times better. Or smaller pythons such as carpets. Even BP's are more manageable then retics (and in my experience have better temperaments!)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Reticulateds are some of the most aggressive snakes I've ever kept. That and an Emerald tree boa....Something like a red tail would be the same general size and maybe not try to eat you as much.o_O
Red Tail Boa I mean. I agree with Pete.
Another thing about the Red Tails is the coloration and similarity in looks to a python.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Retic temperment also depends on breeder and morph/ locale like if you get a retic from a long time breeder who properly cares for their animals the animals are likely to have a placid temperment