Need help with ball python!

JakeDevoe

5 Year Member
So my pastel ball python, around 2 ft long not very old has not been eating. Here some background I got her from pet smart which I know was not the best move but my cousin raised her there and made sure she was healthy because she was a reptile nerd as well. I've had her for about two years not and she has been super healthy, active, never misses a meal unless she's shedding, and hydrated. Well now she's decided
She doesent want to eat it's been three weeks now, which I know isn't a long time for them to not be eating but Penelope has never missed a meal. I feed frozen mice to the right temperature using hot water and she loves it only had about two bad sheds the time I've had her and now I'm wondering if she has decided not to eat distorted food or something. I would love to hear y'all input.
Here's a picture of her if it helps.
IMG_0333.jpgIMG_0335.jpgIMG_0336.jpg

leh85

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I have a Penelope also! Except after naming her I found out she was actually a he lol. How many meals has she missed? Mine (I have 6) will occasionally miss a meal or two if they are getting ready to shed etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How long since her last shed?
Do you have a humid hide box for her?
What is the daytime temp and what is the overnight low? What equipment are you using to maintain these temps?
What is ambient humidity in the tank?
What substrate and how thick?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How often do you feed her?
Snakes in the wild would be lucky to eat every month or two and yours looks to have a good weight.
When I kept a ball python, mine stopped eating once when it got a nasty bite from a live rat. So I switched to chicks. And then rats that I killed right before offering them.

JakeDevoe

5 Year Member
Her sub strait is around 4 inches thick and she does have a hide, not very humid but it's a hide with a heat pad and her substrate is around two inches there it is always on day and night. No lamp but another pad by the water bowl on the other side. I spray her terrarium twice a day so it's pretty humid. I feed her religiously every Sunday and she always eats. She had missed three meals now and that's what I'm worried about. I feed her in her cage which I know isn't a good idea most of the time but it always worked for me and she's never bit anyone before.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Her sub strait is around 4 inches thick and she does have a hide, not very humid but it's a hide with a heat pad and her substrate is around two inches there it is always on day and night. No lamp but another pad by the water bowl on the other side. I spray her terrarium twice a day so it's pretty humid. I feed her religiously every Sunday and she always eats. She had missed three meals now and that's what I'm worried about. I feed her in her cage which I know isn't a good idea most of the time but it always worked for me and she's never bit anyone before.
Hi Jake. I only see two of my questions answered. Need some more info to help you solve this problem. Your answers will confirm or deny some of the possible causes of her lack of appetite.

How long since her last shed?
What is the daytime temp and what is the overnight low in the enclosure?
What is the room temp where the enclosure sits?
What equipment are you using to maintain these temps other than the heat pad?
What is ambient humidity in the tank?
What substrate?
Where are you in the world?

I suspect the temperature might be too low. I've had the best success with ball pythons keeping them warm and humid 24/7. If the temp is too low, their appetite disappears.

JakeDevoe

5 Year Member
Substrate is a mix between jungle mix and coconut fiber both recommended by an exotic pet breeder and the temperatures around the cage are about 69* F and in the cage around 75 but on the heat pads her sports are 93-95 defending on how much she moves the substrate. Her last shed was February 7th and the overnight low is 65 around the enclosure but same heat pad temps. The humidity is at its best 55% humidity but I rarely let it drop below 50% I spray her cage with very warm water two or three times a day with the substrate holding good humidity and she has sphagnum moss by her hide. And I live In Dallas Texas

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I know nothing at all about Ball Pythons, but your pix of Penelope looks like a well fed python. Seems like with torts, increased temps and humidity always help. Given you have had two years since purchasing from Petco, the source doesn’t seem to be the issue (this time).