• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Retha Hofmeyer Passing

Sterant

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
Retha Hofmeyer passed away last week. Retha was one of the foremost researchers on South African tortoise species and was involved with a number of rescues in South Africa. She was a professor at the University and wrote endless research papers on the Tortoises of South Africa, including Chersina angulata. Her work was instrumental to my starting of the CAWG. I never got the chance to make it to South Africa and meet her though I know a few people on the forum have. We did correspond over the phone and via email on a fairly regular basis as I was working towards my first successful hatching of Chersina angulata in the US.

Her loss is a loss for the worlds conservation efforts and the tortoises of South Africa.

Dan