Just arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

batchick

5 Year Member
Hi all, I've just signed up. We are in Cape Town, South Africa and have recently taken on Ned, a bowsprit (Chersina angulata). We are new tortoises, so are looking forward to learning a lot from you all.

Attachments

• image-3808522218.png
    image-3808522218.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 86

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi batchick:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Wow...a bowsprit tortoise. I believe you are the first keeper here on the forum with that type tortoise. I understand they are endangered. Are there laws about keeping them in South Africa?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D Great pic....how does the dog react to him? Because in that pic your dog seems very interested.....

What an awesome tortoise for sure...

batchick

5 Year Member
Hi folks. Thanks for the welcome. The bowsprit is fairly common in our little corner of the world, but we still need permits to keep them, which even require sworn affidavits certified by a commissioner of oaths stating how you came to be in possession of the tortoise.
Yes, the dog is insanely curious, so we keep them in separate parts of the garden.
We're trying to keep his environment as close to his natural environment as possible, so lots of indigenous vegetation and limited handling.

J.X.L

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi batchick:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Wow...a bowsprit tortoise. I believe you are the first keeper here on the forum with that type tortoise. I understand they are endangered. Are there laws about keeping them in South Africa?

They are actually far from endangered! some of the small islands of south africa actually have the highest densities of tortoises in the whole world. And they are all bowsprits!

Still, an awesome tortoise that is very rare in the western world.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
J.X.L said:
They are actually far from endangered! some of the small islands of south africa actually have the highest densities of tortoises in the whole world. And they are all bowsprits!

"CONSERVATION STATUS:

The Bowsprit Tortoise is endemic to South Africa. On January 7, 1975, due to the extremely low numbers of Bowsprit Tortoises, the species Chersina angulata was established as an endangered species in Appendix II of the CITES endangered species list. Presently, due to the protective laws for creatures under Appendix II, regulations on the trade and export of the Bowsprit Tortoises are very strict."

Our own Actinemys marmorata is actually quite plentiful in the wild also, but it is still listed as an animal of concern in the CITES.

Status
Not open for further replies.