Restless rampage

JokingYeti

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
Hello all, I have a 50lb sulcata that we have had for about two years. Over the past two or three days, in the late afternoon, she goes on a rampage. She will start walking in a faster more "im on a mission" kind of way. She will run into things, stomp around, and just generally acts more on edge. This goes on for about two hours then she will settle down, have some grass, and go to bed. I am not sure what is causing this behavior or if its something I should be worried about? Usually she is very calm and just wants to graze and wander the yard. I tried to google this but didnt come up with much. Some places said she is uncomfortable and it could be parasites? Some said this is normal for this time of season and that it will pass. I am hoping to get some more insight about what might be going on here. Thank you

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. You will need to provide details of her habitat and conditions in which she is kept, diet, temperature, roaming space etc. and pictures if possible, to get better help. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might have to do with nesting, breeding, egg laying, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all, I have a 50lb sulcata that we have had for about two years. Over the past two or three days, in the late afternoon, she goes on a rampage. She will start walking in a faster more "im on a mission" kind of way. She will run into things, stomp around, and just generally acts more on edge. This goes on for about two hours then she will settle down, have some grass, and go to bed. I am not sure what is causing this behavior or if its something I should be worried about? Usually she is very calm and just wants to graze and wander the yard. I tried to google this but didnt come up with much. Some places said she is uncomfortable and it could be parasites? Some said this is normal for this time of season and that it will pass. I am hoping to get some more insight about what might be going on here. Thank you
Can you show us a picture of the tortoises tail and anal scutes? Hold it with its carapace up against your chest and its nose pointing toward the sky and have someone take a picture. Be sure the tail is visible.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
One of my four male sulcatas is acting in the same manner. He is four years old and 60 plus pounds. It's almost like he's gone into a trance for a while. Other than that he is acting normal and eating great. The other 3, nothing abnormal with their behavior. They are 3,4 and 27 years old.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think it is completely normal. Charlie does this sometimes. He is 24 years old. I think he just has some pent up energy. He's been doing it for years. It is more common in the summer.

JokingYeti

Phoenix, Arizona
Can you show us a picture of the tortoises tail and anal scutes? Hold it with its carapace up against your chest and its nose pointing toward the sky and have someone take a picture. Be sure the tail is visible.
will this photo work? Took a couple more that I can post if needed

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpeg
    IMG_0673.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1

JokingYeti

Phoenix, Arizona
Hi and welcome. You will need to provide details of her habitat and conditions in which she is kept, diet, temperature, roaming space etc. and pictures if possible, to get better help. Thanks.
Outdoor full time in the phoenix area. I followed toms night box plans and keep the temp around 83-86. Humidity is around 35-40%. Her diet is mostly rye and bermuda grass and weeds in the yard. We do get her mustard, dandelion, collard, and arugula from the store to add to her diet once or twice a week.

She didnt do the restlessness thing today so i'm not sure what that means at this point or if it will happen again tomorrow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Outdoor full time in the phoenix area. I followed toms night box plans and keep the temp around 83-86. Humidity is around 35-40%. Her diet is mostly rye and bermuda grass and weeds in the yard. We do get her mustard, dandelion, collard, and arugula from the store to add to her diet once or twice a week.

She didnt do the restlessness thing today so i'm not sure what that means at this point or if it will happen again tomorrow.
Has she been around any males recently? In the past few months? Any neighbors have one?

Sulcatas are winter layers and often get started in the fall as the weather cools. She might be carrying eggs and looking for a suitable place to lay. If she's got access to the yard, she should be able to find a good spot and not get egg bound. Its unusual for them to form eggs with no male present, but it can happen. An x-ray can confirm or deny this theory.

JokingYeti

Phoenix, Arizona
Has she been around any males recently? In the past few months? Any neighbors have one?

Sulcatas are winter layers and often get started in the fall as the weather cools. She might be carrying eggs and looking for a suitable place to lay. If she's got access to the yard, she should be able to find a good spot and not get egg bound. Its unusual for them to form eggs with no male present, but it can happen. An x-ray can confirm or deny this theory.
She has been flying solo since we got her two years ago. Interesting theory, I suppose we can go to the vet to be safe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She has been flying solo since we got her two years ago. Interesting theory, I suppose we can go to the vet to be safe.
You can try palpating if she will let you feel around the cavity in front of her back legs. Gently poke around in there with your finger and sometimes you can feel an egg or two. I've gotten my finger caught more than once trying that, but some of them tolerate it just fine.