A story you won't believe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlocke4548

5 Year Member
I have a pair a adult sulcattas tortoises. Last march (2009) my female was stolen in the middle of the night. Taken right out of her shed. I was heart broken and very upset. I always had a feeling about who stole her but kept it to myself. I knew the person took her because He knew she was a female and wanted to breed it with his big male.The local news did a story on the theft and my grandma had some harsh words for the dirty thief that stole her. My tortoises are like children to me I care very much about them. I could not believe what had happened. Late last year I found out that the person I suspected who took her had passed away. Dead! I thought karma. What happens next will blow your mind.... January 2010 my stolen tortoise is returned to me. Delivered right to my door step. I was like WTF! You have got to be kidding me. No. It was her! The person said they found her and didn't know what to do with it. But I just said thanks and they got in their car and drove off. It gets better. February. I notice she is acting funny, not eating, not pooping, restless. I think hmm wonder If she has eggs? Two hours later she has a huge hole dug in the corner of the yard. Digs thevwhe day nothing. Two days later same thing five hours of digging. Then....she starts laying eggs! Twenty freakin five eggs. I can't believe it I am freakin out. How is that for fate and karma. She comes home to me and lays eggs. She knew her home she knew she was home and safe. Now hhis is the first clutch ever that I am aware if her laying but in wondering if it's nit her first clutch because 25 is a lot of eggs. Sorry this post is so long but I had to share this story. Fate and karma what can I say. The guy who took her died for gods sake. Any questions fell free to ask.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
I do believe you and I think it is wonderful, why would anyone steal anybody elses pet! SICK!
Anyway, I cant wait to see pictures, and you are so very lucky!

Keep safe both of you!
Ill keep reading!

xx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great story. In what part of the country do you live? I might want a baby when they hatch.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Are you going to incubate them? Will Sulcata eggs develop and hatch if you DON't incubate them? :p

How exciting! What a relief to get your sweetpea back! I would die if someone took Taco. :(

Great story with a happy ending. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah. I worry about this sort of thing too. It is conceivable that someone could jump the fence, grab and go, before me or the dogs could get to them. Those are my babies! I would find it difficult to be merciful in such a case.

M

Maggie Cummings

That's exactly why I have a padlock on Bob's shed and every night I go make sure he's in bed and I lock his shed. The key is always in my back pocket. I am glad you got her back, but I'm thinking it took 2 guys to steal her initially, so the one dies and the other one returns her. I'd be locking their shed at night just like I do for Bob. I am glad you got her back.
I think 25 is an average size clutch but I'm not positive...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
maggie3fan said:
That's exactly why I have a padlock on Bob's shed and every night I go make sure he's in bed and I lock his shed. The key is always in my back pocket. I am glad you got her back, but I'm thinking it took 2 guys to steal her initially, so the one dies and the other one returns her. I'd be locking their shed at night just like I do for Bob. I am glad you got her back.
I think 25 is an average size clutch but I'm not positive...

Does that mean the other one will get to live now that he un-did his bad deed? I'd still like to punish anyone involved. A lot.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
This is my worst nightmare! I have a 6 foot fence all around with a locked gate, but I still worry about someone stealing mine. I'm so glad you got your girl back! :)

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
maggie3fan said:
That's exactly why I have a padlock on Bob's shed

Bob has a shed! I cant imagine a tortoise in a shed!
Is there any photos? Im excited to see

xx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lately I've started to worry about midnight thieving too. The last couple of mornings I've gone outside to see tufts of cat hair all over the place like there was a terrific cat fight right outside my bedroom window. If I can't hear a cat fight while I'm sleeping, how can I expect to hear a stealthy tortoise thief?

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
What a happy ending for you! Plus a great new beginning, babies!!
Those dirty theiving rats! It must have been 2 people that stole her. How big is she? The nerve of some people.

mlocke4548

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the positive replies. Locking the shed is a good idea. After that incident I moved all of my other torts in the back and they are locked up. I'm sure it was two people but the guys wife returned her. I also heard alot of bad things were happening to the family. Their dog and also one of their tortoises also passed away. I guess they figured the only way to undo the bad karma was to return her. However the main thing is I got her back. I love my animals. And yes some people just are plain sick. Stealing tortoises unreal. And I know they didn't take as good care of her as I do. Thanks again fir the positive replies. Keep your torts safe.

Sunrise

5 Year Member
awesome.
btw do you know what caused him to pass away? is he old or something else?
If u knew it was him, could u go to his place and see if ur sulcata was there?

Anyway, congrats on the eggs! 25 babies coming. really great story!

evabug1

5 Year Member
Wonderful to hear that your female has come back home and that she's layed eggs no less!

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
it is wonderful that you got her back! Congrats on the eggs-- hope they all are healthy bouncing babies when they hatch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.