Respiratory Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Today I soaked my greek tortoise, Indie, and cleaned off her shell. When I went to get a dish towel to dry her off my little sister got the idea to clean off her plastron and flipped her over on the palm of her hand to do so. At the time she was still wet. A few minutes later I took Indie outside for some sun time, while I was walking out I noticed that I could hear a popping noise when she was breathing. I blew it off because I just assumed it was from her drinking water during the soak. Now it's 5 hours later and I can still hear the popping noise. I can't see the bubbles pop when she breaths so I assume they're further in her nose or something like that. Could this be from when she was on her back while wet? And do you think it will lead to a respiratory infection?

Thanks
Sarah

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If it was me....I would just keep an eye/ear on her for the next day or two....likely she will work it out fine.... :)

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better:)
The bubbles were the one thing I was really told to watch out for so when I heard the popping I kinda freaked out haha

~Sarah

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I totally understand....I have one of my guys, Ghamara, who loves to dig, burrow, muck around in the earth....some days he comes out of a dirt cloud :)D) and he will have a bubble or two.....however, all works itself out and just because there is a clear bubble does not mean RI, but it does give a flag to make sure to keep eye and learn your tortoise behavior/ways so that if something does change you will notice... :D

oooo, one other thing to keep in mind ...if you are turning your torts for pics or if you find them flipped (or wrongside up for whatever reason) please return them to right side up in a slow and steady manner, avoid the quick "flip" back over as this can cause stress on their internal goods.... :D

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Keep an eye on the breathing, if this persists then it very likely a Res, and it needs to be treated ASAP before it turns into something more serious.

Just to be on the safe side i would seperate from any other tort until you are positive that it is nothing. just my opinion:D:D

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
ascott said:
I totally understand....I have one of my guys, Ghamara, who loves to dig, burrow, muck around in the earth....some days he comes out of a dirt cloud :)D) and he will have a bubble or two.....however, all works itself out and just because there is a clear bubble does not mean RI, but it does give a flag to make sure to keep eye and learn your tortoise behavior/ways so that if something does change you will notice... :D

oooo, one other thing to keep in mind ...if you are turning your torts for pics or if you find them flipped (or wrongside up for whatever reason) please return them to right side up in a slow and steady manner, avoid the quick "flip" back over as this can cause stress on their internal goods.... :D

I will definitely remember that! I try not to turn them on their backs at all, but when i do it's only to make sure everything looks okay. I would hate if someone turned me on my back and I had no way of turning back over lol

bikerchicspain said:
Keep an eye on the breathing, if this persists then it very likely a Res, and it needs to be treated ASAP before it turns into something more serious.

Just to be on the safe side i would seperate from any other tort until you are positive that it is nothing. just my opinion:D:D

Thank you for the advice, I did indeed separate her from my other greek. She seems to be doing a lot better, whatever it was is almost all the way worked out. I was hearing the popping noise every time she took a breath but now I really don't hear it except for every once in awhile.

Thanks!
Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.