New tortoise owner couple of questions!

Karijrivera

Location (City and/or State)
United States
View attachment 226019 View attachment 226020 Hello everyone, I’m a new owner.. just this Christmas received my sulcata tortoise. My boyfriend was holding it since Friday the 21 and only bought the daytime heat lamp, not the uvb so it has been without the uvb light for about three days now. Today got all the items needed so it has been spending a good 3-4 hours under proper lighting and heat.

My concern is that it has not eaten for the three days my boyfriend had him and the one day that he has been under my care. My boyfriend said the lady he got it from (pet store) said it will take a couple days for him to eat since he will need to get use to the environment, how many days is that exactly? He is drinking perfectly fine. But he just looks at the food and goes right past it. Please any info. Or advice will help I’m a worried momma!

Also can you take a look at my tortoise enclosure? Does everything look good? have one light fixture for basking and one for night time heating since my room gets very chilly at night. And one uvb light strip.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hi, welcome, and congrats! At first glance, Your heat and humidity levels are too low. Minimum temp should be no lower than 80 degrees and the humidity should be no lower than 80%. That enclosure you have is going to need a top on it to trap the heat and humidity. What kind of substrate is that you are using? Also, the night time bulb you say you're using.... does it illuminate the enclosure at night? If so, I'd get rid of it and put in a CHE lamp (Ceramic Heat Emitter). Lastly...that water dish looks dangerous. The way it is sloped makes it very easy for your sully to flip himself over. The little terracotta saucers that you can buy for a buck at WalMart are what is highly recommended. That little sully will quickly outgrow that enclosure, so start thinking about something bigger. LOTS of ideas in this forum for those!

Other than that, the enclosure looks great! o_O

Not sure if you've read it or not, but here is a link to the sulcata care sheet:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Best of luck to you and the little one!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Overall that looks good.

Your primary question about how soon to eat, there is not an exact number of days. You might try to find out what they were feeding at the Pet Store. That of course doesn't mean he/she was eating that stuff there, but it's a start.

@Tom (<- that is how you can bring people into a conversation) has a few care sheets regarding sulcatas among other species. I'm sure he will link them next time he stops by.

A few considerations, humidity is pretty darn important. The heat source as you have it will tend to dry the tortoise out so what to do? A hide that that is more enclosed with wet substrate starts out to solve the matter, but longer term you will best seek some sort of more enclosed space. The term often used here is "Closed Chamber". For the most part it offers a much better way to manage heat and humidity.

Here is how I have some baby leopard tortoises set up. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/live-naked-people.126107/page-19#post-1522217 I assure you that is not too humid. Despite living in the wild in places that sorta look desert like, pretty near all tortoises have figured out the high humidity place to live. Under or in rocks, dig their own burrow, use another animals burrow, sleep with your face in a clump of growing plants. They are all remarkably good at finding those places.

When Tom directs you to a few pages to read you'll see more about a broader range of husbandry solutions.

Karijrivera

United States
Hi, welcome, and congrats! At first glance, Your heat and humidity levels are too low. Minimum temp should be no lower than 80 degrees and the humidity should be no lower than 80%. That enclosure you have is going to need a top on it to trap the heat and humidity. What kind of substrate is that you are using? Also, the night time bulb you say you're using.... does it illuminate the enclosure at night? If so, I'd get rid of it and put in a CHE lamp (Ceramic Heat Emitter). Lastly...that water dish looks dangerous. The way it is sloped makes it very easy for your sully to flip himself over. The little terracotta saucers that you can buy for a buck at WalMart are what is highly recommended. That little sully will quickly outgrow that enclosure, so start thinking about something bigger. LOTS of ideas in this forum for those!

Other than that, the enclosure looks great! o_O

Not sure if you've read it or not, but here is a link to the sulcata care sheet:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Best of luck to you and the little one!

Thanks for your help, highly appreciate it.

For the top, going to try and find one that will feet that is a screen. For the meantime what are other ways to keep heat and humidity levels at right temp.?

As for the heat light, it illuminates a red light. It came with the basking light as a package so thought it would work. How does the light effect the tortoise?

For substrate, forgot what it was called. But it started with “cocunut”.

The water dish was the only one that was big enough for my tortoise to fit inside, not sure what dish you are talking about that is at Walmart, can you attach a picture?

Thanks again for your help!!!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for your help, highly appreciate it.

For the top, going to try and find one that will feet that is a screen. For the meantime what are other ways to keep heat and humidity levels at right temp.?

As for the heat light, it illuminates a red light. It came with the basking light as a package so thought it would work. How does the light effect the tortoise?

For substrate, forgot what it was called. But it started with “cocunut”.

The water dish was the only one that was big enough for my tortoise to fit inside, not sure what dish you are talking about that is at Walmart, can you attach a picture?

Thanks again for your help!!!

For the top, I like to use a rigid piece of plexiglass. It will trap the heat and humidity in while allowing you to peer inside. Until you have something adequate to put there, aluminum foil works in a crunch. Just remember to make cutouts for the heat lamps. As for the red bulb, I've been told that tortoises can actually see that type light. Most folks here prefer using CHE's. CHE's won't light up, so it'll be nice and dark at night for the little one.

That substrate is probably coco coir. That and orchid moss are very good. Keep the substrate somewhat damp (not swampy) and that will help with humidity, and ultimately with healthy shell development.

Here is the terracotta plate that is recommended:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Saucer/16795434

c94fa910-7075-43f3-bead-0f911a91ab13_1.0125b0df05209ee27fd8b008319d9100.jpeg

Walmart has that one priced at $6.95, but I picked mine up at Lowes for a buck. So what have you been trying to feed him?

Karijrivera

United States
BEB345BA-C661-45C3-86D5-2A13C77AA931.jpeg
Overall that looks good.

Your primary question about how soon to eat, there is not an exact number of days. You might try to find out what they were feeding at the Pet Store. That of course doesn't mean he/she was eating that stuff there, but it's a start.

@Tom (<- that is how you can bring people into a conversation) has a few care sheets regarding sulcatas among other species. I'm sure he will link them next time he stops by.

A few considerations, humidity is pretty darn important. The heat source as you have it will tend to dry the tortoise out so what to do? A hide that that is more enclosed with wet substrate starts out to solve the matter, but longer term you will best seek some sort of more enclosed space. The term often used here is "Closed Chamber". For the most part it offers a much better way to manage heat and humidity.

Here is how I have some baby leopard tortoises set up. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/live-naked-people.126107/page-19#post-1522217 I assure you that is not too humid. Despite living in the wild in places that sorta look desert like, pretty near all tortoises have figured out the high humidity place to live. Under or in rocks, dig their own burrow, use another animals burrow, sleep with your face in a clump of growing plants. They are all remarkably good at finding those places.

When Tom directs you to a few pages to read you'll see more about a broader range of husbandry solutions.
For the top, I like to use a rigid piece of plexiglass. It will trap the heat and humidity in while allowing you to peer inside. Until you have something adequate to put there, aluminum foil works in a crunch. Just remember to make cutouts for the heat lamps. As for the red bulb, I've been told that tortoises can actually see that type light. Most folks here prefer using CHE's. CHE's won't light up, so it'll be nice and dark at night for the little one.

That substrate is probably coco coir. That and orchid moss are very good. Keep the substrate somewhat damp (not swampy) and that will help with humidity, and ultimately with healthy shell development.

Here is the terracotta plate that is recommended:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Saucer/16795434

c94fa910-7075-43f3-bead-0f911a91ab13_1.0125b0df05209ee27fd8b008319d9100.jpeg

Walmart has that one priced at $6.95, but I picked mine up at Lowes for a buck. So what have you been trying to feed him?

Ok I’m going to have to do some experimenting to get the right too for my enclosure. And yes I’ve seen those at Walmart!

There is one more concern, just yesterday I️ notice that my tortoise has what looks like a scab on on side of it’s face next to jaw (see attachment) not sure what it is and not sure if my boyfriend got it like that at the pet store but we just noticed it yesterday.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
View attachment 226046

I️ notice that my tortoise has what looks like a scab on on side of it’s face next to jaw (see attachment) not sure what it is and not sure if my boyfriend got it like that at the pet store but we just noticed it yesterday.

Wow... not sure what that is. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will swing by though.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Are you soaking your tortoise daily in warm water? That is very important.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome to the tortoise forum! Check our topics list. Here you will find specie specific topics that contain a huge selection regarding sulcata tortoises. Check that section out and read, read, read ! Most pet stores pass along incorrect old information. Most things found on the WorldWideInternetMachine are old and outdated as well. And sadly most of all, many veterinarians simply have no idea how to treat reptiles let alone tortoises.
Here you’ll learn from folks that raise their tortoises as family members and they’ll share their passions for their tortoise with you as well as helping you to care for him properly yourself.
Read and ask questions and if you don’t understand the answers ask again. Don’t be shy. We don’t toss no stones in these-here parts. And if we see it happening, well we shut that nonsense down real quick-like.
It helps us know were abouts you live. The difference in environments from the various places around the world that us forum members live determine little things like local weeds you can feed, all the way up to the larger ones like what types of humidity do you normally get. A couple examples for y’all, I live in the Pacific Northwest (Salem, Oregon) and we have members that live in Texas. Two completely different environments. Anyway, a big welcome to you. Ask them questions then soon you’ll be answering questions from new members yourself.
And, remember to warn your friends, that what starts out as that cute little hatchling
IMG_1055.jpg
Becomes this behemoth while y’all had your backs turned around IMG_1070.jpg It’s 1:00am now for me. I’ll get back to you with answers tomorrow as well as many other members stopping by to answer your questions.

Karijrivera

United States
Are you soaking your tortoise daily in warm water? That is very important.
Hello Big Charlie, and I just got my tortoise on Christmas eve, my boyfriend had it for two days prior that but I did my first soak yesterday with baby food carrot mixture, as I read on here was helpful for baby tortoise if they are not eating to receive the nutrition they need. I plan on doing that everyday as well until I see that he starts to eat.

Would you happen to know or know of anyone who can help me figure out that scab that is on his cheek (see image attached) Im sure that he must of had it when my boyfriend bought it at the pet store because it dosent look like a fresh scab.

Karijrivera

United States
Welcome to the tortoise forum! Check our topics list. Here you will find specie specific topics that contain a huge selection regarding sulcata tortoises. Check that section out and read, read, read ! Most pet stores pass along incorrect old information. Most things found on the WorldWideInternetMachine are old and outdated as well. And sadly most of all, many veterinarians simply have no idea how to treat reptiles let alone tortoises.
Here you’ll learn from folks that raise their tortoises as family members and they’ll share their passions for their tortoise with you as well as helping you to care for him properly yourself.
Read and ask questions and if you don’t understand the answers ask again. Don’t be shy. We don’t toss no stones in these-here parts. And if we see it happening, well we shut that nonsense down real quick-like.
It helps us know were abouts you live. The difference in environments from the various places around the world that us forum members live determine little things like local weeds you can feed, all the way up to the larger ones like what types of humidity do you normally get. A couple examples for y’all, I live in the Pacific Northwest (Salem, Oregon) and we have members that live in Texas. Two completely different environments. Anyway, a big welcome to you. Ask them questions then soon you’ll be answering questions from new members yourself.
And, remember to warn your friends, that what starts out as that cute little hatchling
View attachment 226062
Becomes this behemoth while y’all had your backs turned around View attachment 226063 It’s 1:00am now for me. I’ll get back to you with answers tomorrow as well as many other members stopping by to answer your questions.
Thanks for the warm welcome, and yes I have told all my family and friends how big this little guy is going to get and they think i am crazy but I absolutely love it an can't wait to see my little baby grow! And please advice and tips are well needed :) !

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Here is one of those links I mentioned.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Red bulbs do put out much infra red (IR) heat and some visible light. What has been sorted out is that the IR from the bulb has not been 'filtered' by atmospheric water vapor like the IR from the sun. All those clouds and water vapor in the air filters out the exact very small ranges of IR that does exactly what we want, remove the IR that desiccates. In our enclosures, as humid as we keep them, those parts of the IR (from red bulbs) that desiccate, will dry the tortoise out.

All sources of IR that we can buy do this to some extent, it would seem the 'red glass bulbs' are the worst. Ceramic heat emitters (CHE) are less so, and heat panels less so still more. CHE can be found as low as 25 watts, or much higher. They screw in like light bulbs. Best to use them with a thermostat, so they don't over heat an area. And you have to periodically check to make sure they are working, I use a thermometer with a probe very near where the CHE is aimed.

A screen top will be of little help to retain humidity unless you use it to support plastic or foil. I think I see your intention is to use a screen top?

Glass tanks with a solid top work pretty well, despite the volumes you may read suggesting they are not a good choice. The limiting factors with glass are weight and floor space. A tank with a 2 x 3 foot bottom will weigh much more than plastic. And glass breaks.

I have made use of those plastic cement mixing tubs by putting one upside down on top of the other. They are often 8 inches deep and so your total ceiling is at 16 inches. With a low watt CHE and a 2 foot T5 HO light you will have plenty of room for a few inches of substrate. I cut an opening on a short side of the top tray, and then cover that with a flap of clear plastic. If the humidity is still low I will run a band of duck tape around the joint of the upper and lower tub.

Like these https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/live-naked-people.126107/page-18#post-1470597

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That just looks like dried on food. After a good, long soak, you can try to pick it off.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH

Red bulbs do put out much infra red (IR) heat and some visible light. What has been sorted out is that the IR from the bulb has not been 'filtered' by atmospheric water vapor like the IR from the sun. All those clouds and water vapor in the air filters out the exact very small ranges of IR that does exactly what we want, remove the IR that desiccates. In our enclosures, as humid as we keep them, those parts of the IR (from red bulbs) that desiccate, will dry the tortoise out.

Great explanation Will. I knew I read something like that some time ago.

Karijrivera

United States

All sources of IR that we can buy do this to some extent, it would seem the 'red glass bulbs' are the worst. Ceramic heat emitters (CHE) are less so, and heat panels less so still more. CHE can be found as low as 25 watts, or much higher. They screw in like light bulbs. Best to use them with a thermostat, so they don't over heat an area. And you have to periodically check to make sure they are working, I use a thermometer with a probe very near where the CHE is aimed.

A screen top will be of little help to retain humidity unless you use it to support plastic or foil. I think I see your intention is to use a screen top?

Glass tanks with a solid top work pretty well, despite the volumes you may read suggesting they are not a good choice. The limiting factors with glass are weight and floor space. A tank with a 2 x 3 foot bottom will weigh much more than plastic. And glass breaks.

I have made use of those plastic cement mixing tubs by putting one upside down on top of the other. They are often 8 inches deep and so your total ceiling is at 16 inches. With a low watt CHE and a 2 foot T5 HO light you will have plenty of room for a few inches of substrate. I cut an opening on a short side of the top tray, and then cover that with a flap of clear plastic. If the humidity is still low I will run a band of duck tape around the joint of the upper and lower tub.

Like these https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/live-naked-people.126107/page-18#post-1470597
Alright, thank you for that info on the bulbs, I will plan to return that red one and get the CHE. Also, for the enclosure you have using two cement mixing tubs on top of one another how are you getting the lights inside the enclosure? Are you cutting a hole from top and sticking the lights through there?

Karijrivera

United States
That just looks like dried on food. After a good, long soak, you can try to pick it off.
Well my tortoise has not eaten since I got it four days ago. But maybe food from the petshop? I will soak it today and see if it is removable, thank you!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Alright, thank you for that info on the bulbs, I will plan to return that red one and get the CHE. Also, for the enclosure you have using two cement mixing tubs on top of one another how are you getting the lights inside the enclosure? Are you cutting a hole from top and sticking the lights through there?

All the tube lights have some kind of ceiling mount hardware, I use that and mount it on the ceiling (inside bottom of top tub). If noting else long twist ties and a single small hole and put the tie around the entire fixture, tube and all. and poke through the small hole. Bunch it up and it is good enough. The cord comes out between the tubs. For the CHE I make another small hole, put a loop of the wire that provides electricity the the fixture through the hole and then use a tooth pick through the loop as a flange. I put a small piece of duct tape over these holding mechanisms to reduce humidity loss and to make them stronger.

Karijrivera

United States
All the tube lights have some kind of ceiling mount hardware, I use that and mount it on the ceiling (inside bottom of top tub). If noting else long twist ties and a single small hole and put the tie around the entire fixture, tube and all. and poke through the small hole. Bunch it up and it is good enough. The cord comes out between the tubs. For the CHE I make another small hole, put a loop of the wire that provides electricity the the fixture through the hole and then use a tooth pick through the loop as a flange. I put a small piece of duct tape over these holding mechanisms to reduce humidity loss and to make them stronger.
Ok, sounds pretty simple. I think I can create something like this. Thank you again for your help you guys are all awesome!

Karijrivera

United States
Is my basking lamp to high from my enclousure? My tortoise keeps rubbing its eyes and I’ve read that the light might be bothering him so thought putting the light fixture a little higher will help. Also, the way the basking lamp was placed before when the thermometer was under the lamp it went up to 120F. Is that to hot?

Attachments

• 4063786E-DD63-47A4-AABD-9697D519104B.jpeg
    4063786E-DD63-47A4-AABD-9697D519104B.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 111C3BD6-7F74-44F9-8E94-40C0CA16B4B4.jpeg
    111C3BD6-7F74-44F9-8E94-40C0CA16B4B4.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 19