Rescued

Jill and Erica

I was on my way to work when I saw a little guy trying to cross a highway, good thing I have blue light for I am a police officer so I blocked traffic and was going to move the turtle across the road in the direction in which he was traveling. I became worried due to the fact the area he was heading is now under construction and is no loner the woods it once was. I took the little guy home and I had already had a garden box started, so I removed some dirt and placed a water bowl in and a rock and shaded one side. I looked at the rear legs and discovered he only has three toes. I wanted to keep the little guy I remember having a box turtle when I was a child. I live in South Carolina and I don't want the little guy to be in any harm. So far his habitat is outside I don't have any plants in with him yet was wondering what would be good and I would like to make his habitat better and shaded due to the bad summer heat. I also have been putting strawberries (not a fan) and cantaloupe a long with kale and slugs when I can catch them. I not sure if the little guy is male or female I will attempt to add a pic. But I am worry is the little guy going to be okay. I see turtles on the highway all the time and I didn't want that for this one. any advise would be greatly appreciated. I moisten the soil twice a day and refresh the water bowl area two or three times a day. I don't know how to add little guys pic, I tried but it wont go thru. I am also new member and don't know if this is the right area to post this comment.

IMG_1600.JPG IMG_1601.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Dean Wirth

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta
It is unfortunate that with new construction projects animals get displaced. it could b a female looking to lay eggs, the most roadkills are females looking for nesting sites. It looks like an eastern box turtle from what I can tell. if so it is a digger and will try to escape, the walls could be higher because they are climbers too, plants would be a good addition for cover, and water had to be available to bathe, drink and defecate in. Putting some worms in the enclosure that it can hunt on its own would be a good idea..it does need shade to get out of the sun overheating is a bigger danger than cold.
if it is a male he will have red eyes, a fat tail and a curved under shell for mating. what is the length of the shell?
Thanks for rescuing the turtle and good luck with your new friend!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It might only have 3 toes, but it certainly IS an eastern box turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina). It is illegal to pick them up. You should make sure of your state's regulations regarding box turtles. It's really a shame about his habitat being built upon. Personally, I think you did the right thing, however, you need to learn the state regulations regarding the eastern box turtle.

Jill and Erica

Oh yes I did make sure it was legal before I decided to keep. South Carolina you can own breed sell turtles, from what I read they are not very strict. But thank you Lexiii for the link I will research more.

Jill and Erica

Dean as far as I can see the eyes are brown. I will be making a better habitat for her this weekend, and yes she loves to climb and dig!!! I was torn on what would be best for her the area in which she was rescued has change so much and the natural habitat she knew is no longer, I fear if I put her in the edge of the woods that's all it is in less then 10 yards they built a new development and Hwy. I am planning on doing the walls taller and a protective screen top with brick pavers on the sides but didn't know if I should keep the substrate soil, grass, rocks or a combo of all with shade logs, cover side along with her shallow pool which it appears she loves. Her shell is about 3 1/2 to 4 inches long.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Cute little one, I say keep it and give it a great and happy life. Sounds like you are off to a good start...... I think a substrate of everything you mentioned is great along with dead leaf litter.

Jill and Erica

Great thank you will do I guess the best would to be to rake some up from the surrounding woods in my area. Also has anyone ever hear of Zoo Med Box Turtle Canned Food?? is this something I should try along with worms, slug and fruit

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
yes raking them would be great, it will help attract some bugs and once you put it inside the enclosure you can add earthworms under the leaves and let the little one hunt for them.

I've used that food a few times and my group didn't care much for it. Look at these sheets and you can feed a wide variety for Box turtles.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Don't bother with overpriced pet store packaged food. It's not something wild turtles recognize as food.

Mushrooms, worms, slugs, moths, pill bugs, wood lice (a nice damp rotting log is good for this!) fruit of every kind, mulberries, blackberries & raspberries, overripe apples, cantaloupe, boiled egg, boiled chicken, carrots, steamed or wilted corn on the cob, cooked fish, pumpkin, pears, tomatoes, crickets. They'll eat dead bugs, too.

Variety, variety, variety. Seasonal. Try the farmers market for produce. It took mine years to recognize grocery store produce as food, but home grown or farmers market was eagerly accepted.

Dean Wirth

Alberta
i use high quality dog cereal my turtles just love it. A large variety is best. Judging by shell length you have a 4-5 year old turtle, fully grown they are 5- inches in length. if her eyes are brown she probably is a female,which would make sense as they tend to roam more looking for nest sites. .not sure is she is breeding age, if she is she might dig and lay some eggs, nice turtle and you did the right thing in my opinion.

Jill and Erica

How would I know if she wants to lay eggs? She does like to stay borrowed most of the time. She gets up for morning stroll and dip in her water/ pool eats I guess I have seen her eat once. Then it's back to her favorite corner till afternoon dip. I thought she was a baby due to her size.

Jill and Erica

Oh I forgot to ask I worried she wasn't coming out so I would take her out from her little spot, however I have stopped doing this. I felt that would probably stress her out. I know she comes out the food I put out in morning has bite marks and when I have seen her out I have been able to find slugs not to mention the water is dirty so I clean it every time.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm glad you saved the box turtle from the highway. I'm also glad you're not breaking the law since you are a police officer :) since this is definitely a while the box turtle I would research everything you can to see what they eat naturally. A little trip into the woods would probably get you all you needed for "furniture" in The enclosure. I would leave her alone as much as possible for now. She can live year-round out there if you provide her what she needs. Are you just a plastic paint tray with large pebbles and a piece of slate in it for traction as a water feature. Mine loved it.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432087264.453620.jpg

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
WP_20150519_003.jpg
Also has anyone ever hear of Zoo Med Box Turtle Canned Food?? is this something I should try along with worms, slug and fruit

Our turtle club president, retired after 30 years of reptile care at a large east coast zoo, recommends these 2 commercial turtle foods only: Nasco Turtle Brittle (buy online) and Omega One Adult Turtle Sticks. Both should be soaked in water first until soft.

Dean Wirth

Alberta
How would I know if she wants to lay eggs? She does like to stay borrowed most of the time. She gets up for morning stroll and dip in her water/ pool eats I guess I have seen her eat once. Then it's back to her favorite corner till afternoon dip. I thought she was a baby due to her size.
If she stays buried she probably is not ready to lay, frankly I'm not sure if she's old enough, but be aware box turtles often lay eggs up to 5 years after the mating. If she lays she will dig a hole and tamp it down and you wont even know it. the babies dig themselves out. i would do some online research about how old she is.

Jill and Erica

Good Morning all. My boxie seems to just want to stay borrowed now, I put some leaf litter in her habitat and now I don't see her come out. her water pool area has been clean for the last two days. I still refresh the water and moisten the soil and it did rain the other day. I caught a fair good size slug and put it next to her and left her alone 9seems she doesn't like a audience when eating). there was a black ant issue on one side of her habitat due to fruit but I cleaned that up and made sure they were not fire ants. I am worried shouldn't she come out and about? I did check her by touching her shell in the back and she did move but I don't want to take her out of her borrow. I don't know if I should force her to go in her pool or should I just leave her be?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
It's probably just the weather, several of mine will bury them selves for days at a time. We went from high 70's and 80's to the 50's and 60's the last few days and I haven't seen a few of mine out. I wouldn't worry right now.

Jill and Erica

okay it has been in the 90's here and a little dry. but today its a brisk morning. I will continue to keep the watering area clean and moisten the soil, she has a outdoor habitat so ill put worms and things in there with her but no fruit until I see her out due to ant issues. Thank you so much!!!!:tort::):tort: